New Discussion юеВ

CPU Utilization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

CPU Utilization

hi everyone,

How can i view CPU utilization of my HP Procurve 4108GL switch? and what is the acceptable threshold?

thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CPU Utilization

Wanda,
Not sure how far you want to go with the CPU stats, or how you want to look at them.

I don't have a 4108 to look at but think that most of the console menus would be close to the same. If you just want to have a peek, the console menu "General System Information" under "Status and Counters" would give it to you. If you wanted to monitor it with some SNMP utility, you would want to use a MIB browser to find the OID. Start by downloading the mibs-nov03.exe and compiling them for use with your fav browser.

Hard to answer what is acceptable... anything less than 100% for sure but it really depends on the dynamics of your network. Something like that should have been baselined from the start.
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

hi les,

viewing port counters only tells me the total packets but not in percentage form.. how will i know that i am currently on lets say 90% utilization already? in addition, it tells us the usage per port. is there something like the CPU usage of the switch itself?

thanks again!
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Like I said, I don't have a 4108gl to look at but assumed all menus would be pretty much the same. Looking at one of my 5308xl switches I see:

MO ServerRoom HP 5308xl 1-Nov-2004 21:11:22
===========================- TELNET - MANAGER MODE -============================
Status and Counters - General System Information

System Contact : Les Ligetfalvy
System Location : Main Office Server Room

Firmware revision : E.08.50 Base MAC Addr : 00110a-462900
ROM Version : E.05.04 Serial Number : SG426JZ08Y

Up Time : 6 days Memory - Total : 19,042,272
CPU Util (%) : 1 Free : 7,082,888

IP Mgmt - Pkts Rx : 857,332 Packet - Total : 2176
Pkts Tx : 559,056 Buffers Free : 1666
Lowest : 643
Missed : 0

Actions-> Back Help

Return to previous screen.
Use arrow keys to change action selection and to execute action.

As you can see, my CPU is at 1%. Unfortunately the lines wrap so you cannot see the sceen the way it shows in telnet.
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Les, I also found that out just a while ago. nonetheless, thanks for your help. Very much appreciated!
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

by the way, for future reference, for 4108GL that is under system information.
at CLI, just type show system-information.. and thats it!
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

Had the same solution as Les.. and it works both ways.. Les' solution is also true for 4108.. just a matter of preference.