Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753796 Members
7087 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cable Management for ProCurve 5308 or 4108 switch

Scott Cuomo

Cable Management for ProCurve 5308 or 4108 switch

Can anyone share how they are handling cable management for these units? We are going to have a 5308 pretty well loaded up and I'm trying to figure out how to dress 100 + cables over 5U. If anyone can recommend products or methods (or a pic of your setup) I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cable Management for ProCurve 5308 or 4108 switch

I use different coloured jumpers for each module and I label each jumper at both ends by the module/port (e.g. A-16) using Brady labels. The jumpers are permanently assigned to their respective port.

I do not constrain the jumpers with D rings as it would hamper the hot-swap of a module. As they are, I can yank a bad module with all the jumpers attached, hot plug a replacement module and then move the jumpers across one by one.

In fact, I keep hot-swap in mind when mounting the switches as well. The two RPSs are accessible and the entire switch rests on a shelf of some sort so that one person can effect the swap. Over the past year I have had to hot swap out more than 30 modules, a handful of switches, and a couple of RPSs.
Vlad_3
Advisor

I make so.
Scott Cuomo

Thank you, Les and Vlad.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

My wiring closet is not nearly as tidy looking as Vlad's but at least I can swap out a module in record time with one hand tied behind my back.