Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752834 Members
3643 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive router?

SOLVED
Go to solution
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive router?

I have an old Welfleet ASN router I need to replace. I have about six segments and want to route mainly TCP/IP. So I guess I'm talking about setting up Layer 3 switching in todays' technology. I dont want to spend too much for this though (<$1000). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend an inexpensive router?

Hi,

Given the budget, a Linux box with 6 NICs would do nicely and stay within the budget. I'm not sure if there are any L3-switch out there that will do the job within $1000.00

The Linux box will also allow you to use any routing protocol: BGP, OSPF, RIP, etc... you just have to install the correct s/w. :)
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the LINUX idea. I dont have LINUX in my organization and would rather not add this to the mix. Also, I am looking for something along the lines of a router that can be installed and run as more of an appliance. Anyway, I appreciate you responding to my question.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Vern -

If you do not need RIP or OSPF support, you can get a ProCurve Switch 2626 for well under $1,000. It supports static IP routing.

Regards,
Ralph
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Remember, I am replacing ASN with 6 segments and I am looking for layer three routing. I'm pretty sure the 2626 cant do that. But thanks anyway.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Vern -

Perhaps I do not understand what you mean by "layer 3 routing" but the 2626 routes IP packets in hardware.

Regards,
Ralph
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Cisco 1721 modular router equipped with 2x [4-port 10/100BASE-T Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card (part number WIC-4ESW)]. Gives you a total of 9 FastEthernet ports.
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot. That's what I did. But I wanted to see if there was an HP solution before I did. Funny nobody from HP sales looked at my question and tried to help me. Thanks for your input. Vern.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Vern,

can you have 9 networks on all 9 FastEthernet interfaces of the Cisco 1721 router? Is it successfully supporting this speed and this number of interfaces? Did you have any problems with this hardware configuration?

Thanks,
Dan
Shane_33
Frequent Advisor

Vern,

I guess it depends on whether you *need* dynamic routing via protocols such as OSPF and/or RIP1/RIP2, or whether static routing would suffice for what you need to do.

Can you let us know how often your segments change? If it is not much then a 2626 may be an option giving you wirespeed static routes between multiple VLANs.

Shoot a request for someone in the HP ProCurve team to give you a call via http://www.hp.com/rnd/assistance/email.htm

Regards,
Shane.