Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752770 Members
4714 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can anyone recommend an inexpensive router?

SOLVED
Go to solution
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive router?

I have an old Welfleet ASN router I need to replace. I have about six segments and want to route mainly TCP/IP. So I guess I'm talking about setting up Layer 3 switching in todays' technology. I dont want to spend too much for this though (<$1000). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Given the budget, a Linux box with 6 NICs would do nicely and stay within the budget. I'm not sure if there are any L3-switch out there that will do the job within $1000.00

The Linux box will also allow you to use any routing protocol: BGP, OSPF, RIP, etc... you just have to install the correct s/w. :)
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the LINUX idea. I dont have LINUX in my organization and would rather not add this to the mix. Also, I am looking for something along the lines of a router that can be installed and run as more of an appliance. Anyway, I appreciate you responding to my question.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Vern -

If you do not need RIP or OSPF support, you can get a ProCurve Switch 2626 for well under $1,000. It supports static IP routing.

Regards,
Ralph
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Remember, I am replacing ASN with 6 segments and I am looking for layer three routing. I'm pretty sure the 2626 cant do that. But thanks anyway.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Vern -

Perhaps I do not understand what you mean by "layer 3 routing" but the 2626 routes IP packets in hardware.

Regards,
Ralph
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Cisco 1721 modular router equipped with 2x [4-port 10/100BASE-T Fast Ethernet Switch WAN Interface Card (part number WIC-4ESW)]. Gives you a total of 9 FastEthernet ports.
VERN HARRISON
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot. That's what I did. But I wanted to see if there was an HP solution before I did. Funny nobody from HP sales looked at my question and tried to help me. Thanks for your input. Vern.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Vern,

can you have 9 networks on all 9 FastEthernet interfaces of the Cisco 1721 router? Is it successfully supporting this speed and this number of interfaces? Did you have any problems with this hardware configuration?

Thanks,
Dan
Shane_33
Frequent Advisor

Vern,

I guess it depends on whether you *need* dynamic routing via protocols such as OSPF and/or RIP1/RIP2, or whether static routing would suffice for what you need to do.

Can you let us know how often your segments change? If it is not much then a 2626 may be an option giving you wirespeed static routes between multiple VLANs.

Shoot a request for someone in the HP ProCurve team to give you a call via http://www.hp.com/rnd/assistance/email.htm

Regards,
Shane.