Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753873 Members
7457 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can anyone tell me how to block DHCP on a 5308 or 4204?

vielmetter

Can anyone tell me how to block DHCP on a 5308 or 4204?

I have 2 switches connected via gbic. Both switches have separate IP helper statements for their respective DHCP servers. Unfortunately the GBIC modules are part of the default VLANS on both switches that has IP helper on it, so sometimes clients attached to one switch grab an IP address from the dhcp server configured on the other switch. How do I prevent this? I'm basically trying to block dhcp from going across the GBIC wire between the 5308 and 4204.

Any help would really be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Igoris_1
Frequent Advisor

helper sits on VLAN, if GBIC wire is the same VLAN ID, you can't prevent, unless remove helper statement from that VLAN ID. Put clients into VLAN that has no helper.
RicN
Valued Contributor

As Igoris said, if you have attached different ip helper addresses on the same broadcast domain it would be pure chanse which dhcp server a client would use.

Is what you are trying to accomplish to be able to give all clients on one switch ip addresses from a certain dhcp server and all users on the other switch only addresses from another dhcp server?

If so, then a configuring the clients ports for different vlans would solve this issue.