8535 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't enable IP Routing

Mike Zalamea
Occasional Contributor

Can't enable IP Routing

Hi all,

I'm a noob, so please be nice. I'm trying to setup 3 VLAN's on our 3400CL switch. I've logged into the IP Config menu in the command line. When I enable IP Routing, it asks me to enter the IP addy for the DNS server, but I can't type in any numbers in the field. We're currently using Bios Version: M.10.06, ROM I.08.11.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm#3400cl lists the current firmware as M.10.41

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/3400cl-RelNotes-m1041-59914764.pdf lists all he fixes by version. Nothing obvious about what you describe, but there's been enough things fixed that I'd be very tempted to update the firmware.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/6400-5300-4200-3400-AdvTrafficMgmt-Oct2006-59906051-Chap11.pdf describes setting up IP routing.

However, you will need to set up IP addressing first as described in ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/6400-5300-4200-3400-MgmtCfg-Oct2006-59906050-Chap08.pdf - and you will need to do this the command line way rather than the "quick setup" way.

Of course, it shouldn't strictly need a DNS server address (what are you doing in the switch that will want the switch to resolve DNS names?), so it shouldn't matter anyway.

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Add to the previous post, enabling IP routing doesn't need a DNS entry.

Telnet or connect to your fantastic 3400 switch by console cable and follow these steps:

1- Make sure you have all the 3 Vlans have IP addresses assigned:
Switch# sh ip ***
this will list all the IPs assigned per Vlan in the switch.

2- Enable IP routing from the config. prompt:

Switch#config
Switch(config)#IP routing

This is more than enough to enable routing on the switch.

3- Check the IP routing table,

Switch#show ip route *** this should show at least 3 IPs in the routing table, and if not
then make you have at lest one active link in each Vlan

Because, the Vlan IP won't be in the routing table until it has at lest one active link (untagged port connected to end device, or a trunk with tagged or untagged to another switch ....)

Also, make sure to update the firmware to latest.

Other vendors are charing MONEY for this facility, and i wonder why people who has HP doesn't enjoy it.

Maybe if HP decided to get money for that, every body will remember the free days :)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Mike Zalamea
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys. I was trying to enable IP routing via the menus and not the command line. I was able to enable it via CLI.
Mike Zalamea
Occasional Contributor

was able to resolve issue.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

how did you do it?