Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752608 Members
4534 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't get this Jetdirect EX Plus to work!!

Ryan Harris_3

Can't get this Jetdirect EX Plus to work!!

Please, help!!

I am connecting an HP 722C via Paralell cable to an HP Jetdirect EX Plus (old, but should still work...I think). I have the Jetdirect connected via Ethernet to a US Robotics 8054 Wireless router. I am able to ping and telnet into the Jetdirect. I have used the HP Download Manager to upgrade the firmware. I have used the HP Simple Network Printer Installer to try and auto configure the setup. I have used the Web Jet Admin to "play" with it. I don't really know what I'm doing I guess.

All I can get out of it is about 5 lines of printing, then it stops. The printer works fine as a standalone (and if it was feasible, I would have given up on this long ago!).

I've attached a screen print of my current config from a telnet session. I do not have a print queue setup, and I'm not sure how to do it (running Win XP Pro SP2 on my laptop, which is my only PC) and I don't know if it would help or is nessesary or what.

I'd appriciate any help I can get, I'm completely lost...

HP JetDirect

Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
>
===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
Firmware Rev. : E.08.49
MAC Address : 00:60:b0:6f:b7:eb
Config By : DHCP

IP Address : 192.168.123.101
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.123.254
Syslog Server : Not Specified
Idle Timeout : 90 Seconds
Set Cmnty Name : Not Specified
Host Name : PRINTER1
Default Get Cmnty : Enabled

DHCP Config : Enabled
Passwd : Disabled
IPX/SPX : Disabled
DLC/LLC : Disabled
Ethertalk : Disabled
Banner page : Disabled
>
5 REPLIES 5
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Ryan,

I'm not an expert at this, but I see you don't have any replies yet. One thing that confuses me: you state that you can get "about 5 lines of printing" out of it, but that you don't have a print queue set up. If it's working fine standalone, then the 5 lines can't apply to standalone mode. Yet if you have no queue, how did you get 5 lines out of it? Sorry, I don't mean to be antagonistic, just confused.

Were you interested in setting up a print queue for the 722C using your laptop? If yes, please let me know your level of expertise and I'll try to respond appropriately.

Finally, I've read that some printers aren't supported with the old JetDirect boxes. I'll post again if I find anything.

Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Ryan Harris_3

Sorry, in my frustration, probably should have been more clear...

I'm getting the partial printing when going through the network. When I connect directly, I can print reams of paper with no problem.

As far as I know, I do not have a print queue setup. My thought is that may be the problem (I know this model only has 1Mb of memory), but I am very unfamiliar with that. My background is in UNIX and AS/400, which have to have queues to get as far as I have gotten.

The other thing is that I can't get a test page to print from the Jetdirect. This has really thrown everyone I've talked to since I can print from my PC, over the network, even for just the little bit that does print. What I don't know is if I can setup a print queue without a dedicated server on the network (which consists of my wireless laptop, wireless router, Jetdirect print server, printer, and my DSL modem).

Probably doesn't help, it hasn't done anything but confuse everyone I've talked to so far. I even had to have one of my Cisco-cert co-workers come and see it because he didn't believe it could happen! Of course, his suggestion was to replace the Jetdirect with a PC...
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm. No problem. Thanks for the clarification. My background is also UNIX (I did VM/CMS, which I guess has similarities with AS/400).

I don't believe you can print without defining the printer to the XP system, which to me counts as defining a queue. It's the Control Panel->Printers and Faxes->Add New Printer (pick network printer, etc) thing. You *can* define a server as a printer spooler, but...you don't have to, even though corporate IT/desktop people seem to want you to think so. Maybe an MCSE would know better. :-)

What this kind of sounds like is a speed or buffering issue. How reproducible is the 5 lines? Like, if you make a file with 10 lines of 80 characters each, does it stop on the same line, same character each time?

Have you tried the Jetdirect on a wired network? That could at least remove the wireless aspect for verification purposes.

What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Ryan Harris_3

Well, according to the HP tech who e-mailed me, the 722C printer I am hooking up is not compatible with any print server.

Thanks for the help anyway!!
Ryan Harris_3

Incompatible printer