7643 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can you trust PCM+2.3 ?

J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Can you trust PCM+2.3 ?

Hello all.

With regular intervals, certain areas of my network are powerless due to scheduled maintenance of the power grid. I don't use UPS, but the network is RSTP'd to cope with the situation, and it does. PCM+2.3 does not see this, however, and happily reports traffic to and from the dead switches in the subnet map, although the ports to and from the dead area are reported inactive and the switches in the area are inaccessible.
The network map does not reflect the use of the normally blocked RSTP path. It is still reported as an STP blocked link.
Adding the bug in the device status history panel mentioned in an other post, I consider PCM+2.3 the worst version so far, and I don't trust it at all.
There is always one more bug ...
4 REPLIES 4
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

-I have a couple of questions that could give a tiny tip of help.

-For how long this power disconnecting will last?

-How big is your network? How many Active devices you have in the PCM+?

-Have you try to Reduce the Scan Interval in the Network discovery options ?

-Have you tried to Rediscover one of the Switches that you are sure its dead due to the power ?

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Hi.

The power is off for a period of 4-8 hours.

I have 43 active devices in the network.

The scan interval was set to 1 day. I have reduced it to 1 hour initially and I'll see what happens and fine tune later.

I havent tried to rediscover the switch as it's dead for sure. The disconnection is due to maintenance of the local high voltage grid (10kV), which is simply shut down, so anything connected to this is off by definition.

Perhaps I just expected PCM to react more or less instantaneously to a change in topology.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Also do you have the latest Autoupdate 3 package installed?
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Yes, autoupdate 3 is installed
Not all switches are fully updated, however. I'm evaluating I.10.43 on two 2824 switches before I roll it out network-wide.