Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1747988 Members
4889 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cant telnet to HP 4000 or 8000

Andrew_212

Cant telnet to HP 4000 or 8000

Weird, but I cant telnet to either of these two switches. The network is running fine and I can get to the web interface. The error message I get is:
Sorry, the maximum number of telnet sessions are active. Try again later.

There arent any telnet sessions active. Anyone have an idea of the cause of this?
A reboot of the switch will cure this, but I would like to know how to prevent it from happening again.
Thanks in advance...
Andy
2 REPLIES 2
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cant telnet to HP 4000 or 8000

There's probably some processes in your network (rouge?) that keeps telnetting to your switches and keeping the sessions open. What you need to do is to set your switch to time-out inactive telnet sessions. That might help to allevate the situation. Ultimately, you need to find out which process(es) is/are creating those sessions.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Andrew_212

Re: Cant telnet to HP 4000 or 8000

Thanks,
I looked thru the log and the closest I could find to any connections being made were "tftp" connections from a pc running "Procurve Manager". (It must have been doing this automatically) I uninstalled it and will wait to see if that cures the problem.
Thanks,
Andy