New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cascading Multiple Procurve's ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Hi Allesandro

If I look in the menus of the 2900 switch under Port/Trunk settings, I can alter ports A2 and A3 (the uplink ports) and enable/disable flow control, mode, group and type (including LACP) just like I could any other port.

In my configuration I don't need trunking so I'm not 100% sure it can do exactly what you ask but so far I see no reason why it can't.....

Tino
Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Looking in the Management Guide it says:

For proper trunk operation, all ports in a trunk must have the same media type and mode (such as 10/100TX set to 100FDx, or 100FX set to 100FDx). The flow control settings must also be the same for all ports in a given trunk. To verify these settings, refer to ├в Viewing Port Status and Configuring Port Parameters├в on page 10-3.
├в ┬в

I'm therefore guessing that using a combination of 10GbE uplinks and 1GbE Rj45 ports wouldn't work.

Alessandro_78
Regular Advisor

Ok but AFAIK HP trunk is used to manage multiple switches from a single master switch.
Doing so you don't need to log on all switches but only to the master switch.

Can you try to trunk in LACP multiple port on multiple switches?

Like port A1,A2,B1,B2 in a single LACP trunk...
Just to see...

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

According to the manual stacking is for management of switches via a commander.

Trunking is for aggregating ports of identical types to increase bandwidth.

I'm reluctant to try trunking for you as its taken me the best part of 4 days to get this setup working the way I want it to (I've been learning along the way!)

I suggest you read the trunking parts of the 2900 MgmtCfg guide (7700kb download) from the Procurve website.

From the manual:

trunk group
Port trunking allows you to assign up to eight physical links to one logical link (trunk) that functions as a single, higher-speed link providing dramatically increased bandwidth. This capability applies to connections between backbone
devices as well as to connections in other network areas where traffic bottlenecks exist. A trunk group is a set of up to eight ports configured as members of the same port trunk. Note that the ports in a trunk group do not have to be consecutive. For example:
The multiple physical links in a trunk behave as one logical linkSwitch 2:
Alessandro_78
Regular Advisor

Ok.
So HP stacking is what i've said before:
just for management, not for physical switch aggregation into one bigger logical switch.

Thanks.
Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Thx for all your help so far all..

But im still alil unsure on what i should look to be doing....

Senario: -

3 Vlans.. 1 for Voice, 1 for Data, 3rd is the Default..

Want all 3 switchs to work as one LAN with the 3 VLAN's working across the board...

Fibre is the Medium on port 25 on two of the switchs, port 25 and 26 on the third..

Same VLAN config on all three switchs, what do i need to do to ports 25 and 26 for the LAN to work as 1: -
Trunk? "Believe thats only for bandwidth so no good in this senario"
All VLANS tagged?
Etc

Thanks all =0)
Karl.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Hi Karl,

I'm having trouble understanding what you want to accomplish - what exactly do you mean by wanting the switches to work as one LAN?

What is throwing me is you also want 3 VLANs running, which seems to be contradicting with your other statement (at least to me).

Can you clarify?

Thanks,
Joel
Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Hi Joel,

Gonna make this as simple as poss...

One big switch in the comms room "Gonna call this the mother ship".

2x Smaller 24 port switchs -> 1x in warehouse -> 1x in Prebuild.

------------------------------------

-Mother ship config-
3x VLANS

Ip routing
VLAN 1(Default)
Ip 192.168.0.243
--------
VLAN 2 (Voip)
QoS
etc
--------
VLAN 3 (Data)
etc
------------------------------------

Now i need to config the Warehouse and prebuild switchs to work with the mother ships config.
Out of the box they will only have the default VLAN.

How do i config the 2 other switchs to work with the VLANS on the mother ship?

Thx,
Karl.

Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Karl,

Ok I follow you now. You should create the VLANs on the 2 new switches and tag the uplinks with all VLANs.

IP routing should be turned off on these switches as your "mothership" switch should be doing the routing between VLANs.

Do not assign any IP addresses in the VOIP and Data VLANs, but assign IP addresses in the default VLAN for management access.

Lastly, tag / untag the appropriate ports on the new switches depending on how you are connecting the hosts.

Also, when you mentioned cascading the switches everyone assumed you meant you wanted to "stack" the switches - i.e. connect multiple switches together to behave as one big virtual switch for management or connectivity purposes.

Hope this makes sense, anyone else have anything to add?

Cheers,
Joel
Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Hi Joel.. ├в Thanks├в ├в ┬ж. =0)

-Uplink-
When u say ├в uplink├в , is that a generic name for any port that links two switches?
Or
Is there a dedicated port on the Procurve├в s for this?
Or
A command line required to configure the port?

-IPs & VLANS.-
So assign a Static address to all 3 VLANs, same subnet.
No IP address for VLAN Data and VLAN VoIP across the board?

The last config I did I had the router in VLAN1, Ip routing 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to the routers IP, and static addresses on the router directing traffic back to the VLAN IP├в s.

How will I get round this issue if the VLAN├в s have no IP address?

-DHCP, IP Routing-
The IP phones and Computer terminals where DHCP issued IP├в s, all with the default gateway├в s being the Data or VoIP VLAN IP, what config changes do I need to make?

Thanks,
Karl.