Cisco 3120 question

New C7000 system with

BL460s with 6 nics
6 cisco 3120gs nw switches
2 cisco 9124E fibre switches
HP EVA 4400 san
VMWare enterprise
The switches are to be redundant pairs.

I am replacing a system of several servers that were physically separated into two domains with 3 subnets each then star networked thru dumb switches to workstations / printers.

I'm told I must add a core switch, replace all dumb switches and add a router to get 4 - 10 subnets out of the C7000.

Is that correct ?

If not, can you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks for taking the time to consider this.
4 REPLIES 4
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cisco 3120 question

Terry,
Who is telling you this?

The 3120 switch is capable of routing traffic and can support up to 1004 VLANs on its own. Also the switch support stacking - so you might needs some additional hardware (probably the .5m stack cable (494331-B21)) depending on the type of redundancy you're wanting.

Take a look here for more documentation on your switch. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3690359

If you are not already working with an HP Technical Consultant (TC), you may want to contact one. Your HP Account Manager should be able to assist. Now, depending on the demands of the solution you are trying to build, it may be wise to also use a core switch of sorts, but this depends on a number of factors the TC can work with you on.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Terry Brent
Occasional Contributor

Dennis,

Thanks for your input.

The HP "Mission Critical Account Support Manager" says we must add the core & edge switches.

The link you provided for more documentation is bad. I have looked at a lot of docs (maybe even the one you're trying) and it seems these 3120 switches should be capable.

Terry

DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Terry,

I'm sorry about the link; it├в s probably the same docs you have already seen. I think I might understand why he is recommending a core switch, but the interconnect is an edge switch to the servers. Are you trying to replace your old infrastructure with just this c-class equipment? In other words, how will you be connecting the c-class to the rest of your network? Perhaps you could provide a Visio drawing?
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Terry Brent
Occasional Contributor

Dennis,

The idea is to replace the existing individual servers and tie the c7000 into their old subnets.

Out of the C7000 we would need 4-10 subnets.

A port from a 3120 would connect to existing unmanaged switch that connects to other unmanaged switches then to workstations, thats one subnet.

Repeat 3 more times for existing system.

Some subnets only have 20 users.