Did you mean: 

Cisco 3524XL-PWR - network settings change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marco_168
Advisor

Cisco 3524XL-PWR - network settings change

Hi!

For a subsidiary we need to change the ip configuration on some switches. No problem if you got a console cable from the router to the switch (AUX<->CON). However if you cannot provide such a link, is it possible to change the IP, subnet and default gateway while connected via the 'old' IP? I believe I will be diconnected as soon as I change the IP?

interface VLAN1
ip address 16.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat outside
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 16.xxx.xxx.1

I know it should be possible to change that via the WEB interface and then do a "save config" at once.

Comments appreciated.

Bye,

marco
4 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Cisco 3524XL-PWR - network settings change

Can't swear to it but I think you can export the config to a tftp server then make your changes to the file and then copy the file onto the switch. Don't think the change does anything until the whole file is copied.

If you can telnet to the router that is closest to the switch you can put a secondary address on the router's interface to the switch. That way if the switch changes its IP address to the new network you can still get to it and finish the changes.

Ron
kbyrd0
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Another trick is to build the configuration file offline (using notepad or whatever), put that file on a TFTP server, then run the command "copy tftp startup-config". Reboot the switch and it should come up with the new config. Oh, when you type "reload" and IOS asks you to save the config before you reload, make sure you say "no".
Marco_168
Advisor

Hi!

just did it with tftp startup upload and then a reload!

One switch after the other ;-)

Worked great!

many thanks
Marco_168
Advisor

OK