1753291 Members
5502 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cisco 3750 equivalent

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

Cisco 3750 equivalent

I am looking for the Procurve equivalent of the Cisco 3750. I want 48 ports with 4 dual-personality ports that I can stack. I want NAT, routing, and ACLs built into the firmware. I have looked at the 3500s but they do not have NAT. Does HP make such a product without having to go to the core line of switches. I would prefer a non-chassis switch. I currently have some 4100s, 2650s and 2800s switches that I am extremely pleased with but I need a higher lever switch to do some local LAN natting and with this I will need to implement some IP based ACLs.
Regards,
Chris
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I wonder why you need a NAT on an Edge switch.

NAT usually used on a Router or a Firewall, not even on a Routing switch.

So if you can explain an Idea behind the use of NAT so we can find a solution for it.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

We are a radiology practice that provides services for about 12 hospitals, each connected via fiber. They all have their own networking, which conflicts with other facilities but we have some of our servers at some of the facilities. Our servers need to talk to each other across the "LAN". What we want to do is create a virtual subnet that answers on an arbitrary IP address and then have that natted to a usable subnet.
servera at sitea 10.10.10.5 needs to get to serverb at siteb 10.10.10.2. The idea would be create a stub network 172.20.20.0/24 and it would happen like this:
10.10.10.10.5 --> 172.20.20.2 NATed to 10.10.10.2.
Currently we are doing this by using binat with OpenBSD but its getting really hard to manage plus with the overhead, we think it would be simpler to use some sort of appliance.
Bergin
Advisor

Chris,

Any thoughts on bundling the 3500 with a 7102dl router? It's two devices but might do the trick.

I think the problem is getting an ASIC device with 48 ethernet ports and a routing brain - you may need two devices. Or a switch that can NAT which I have not seen via ProCurve's lineup.

Thanks,

Rob

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

We need to do this at gig speeds, I don't think the 7102 is capable of gig.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Chris

In ProCurve your only choice is the Secure Router but with 100M.

Also, i don't think the cisco 3750 is capable of doing NAT:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/166.html#topic1

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone