5092 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cisco 3750 to replace HP4204vl for InterVLAN Routing/QoS and Fiber Connection

Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Cisco 3750 to replace HP4204vl for InterVLAN Routing/QoS and Fiber Connection

Hi,

I got a network environment using HP network switches and Cisco routers for our WAN connections and for connecting to one of our ISP (Got 2 ISP). Got a couple of buildings connected by fiber back to server room 1. We got 2 server rooms connected by fiber and we employ HP4204vl switches on these 2 server room. So far we have 13 VLAN's and they are configured statically, some routed by the HP4204vl in the server room 1 while some are routed by our firewall (smoothwall) in server room 2. Not all VLAN's propagate to the buildings. Some VLAN's on server room 2 doesn't propagate to other connections in our campus. QoS is also employed to cater for VoIP between server room 1 & 2

We are in the process of procuring 2 Cisco 3750 for the purpose of replacing the function of the HP4204vl in server room 1. These 2 3750 will be stacked and we are going to distribute our server connections to the stacked switch. We are also going to add in a couple more VLAN's but not propagating to the HP ethernet network to cater for our storage network. These 2 x 3750 switches will be deployed at the server room 2. Basically our server room 2 will be acting as our main server room with this change

I need help with the following:

* Stacked configuration
* InterVLAN configuration. What is the best approach I should take so that I have a smooth transition from HP4204vl doing the inter VLAN routing to the Cisco 3750 doing the main routing. Any configuration example would really help. In terms of connecting Cisco to HP
* Cisco fiber module - I need advice as to which fiber module I need to procure so that I can connect the Cisco switch at server room 2 back to the HP switch at server room 1. Am currently using HP Procurve Gigabit LX-LC mini-GBIC for fiber connectivity between server room 1 & 2 using HP4204vl
* QoS for VoIP connectivity between server room 1 and server room 2

I can provide a drawing depicting the current and what we want to achieve with the addition of the Cisco 3750's. Hope someone helps
4 REPLIES 4
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: Cisco 3750 to replace HP4204vl for InterVLAN Routing/QoS and Fiber Connection

send me your 3570 switch sh run print
cenk

Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Re: Cisco 3750 to replace HP4204vl for InterVLAN Routing/QoS and Fiber Connection

Hi,

Do you mean the Cisco 3750 ? I haven't got it yet :)

Am just after configuration examples for connecting Cisco to an HP environment with reagrds to InterVLAN routing and QoS. Anyway, this is what I have at the moment Gigabit-LX LC mini-GBIC (J4859B, J4859C) on my HP switches. Just need the part number for the one that I have to procure for the Cisco switch that will be compatible with the HP one as my fiber connectivity between the two server rooms will be connecting to the Cisco switch with the new setup

Thanks
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

please take a look at 2x A5800-24G in a IRF stack. Instead of a propriatary stack mechanism you can use the existing 10Gb ports to interconnect the switches in one virtual stack.

A5800 comes with full IP featureset (IPv6/VRF-lite/BGP).

Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Have already procure 2 x Cisco 3750 with its stacking accessories. Am just waiting for the delivery and configuration. Looking at the
A5800-24G isn't an option for me. Am just after the right Cisco fiber module that will be compatible with the HP Procurve Gigabit LX-LC mini-GBIC module currently used in one of the hP4204vl. I need to procure that as well as Im going to connect Cisco to HP via fiber and UTP as well

regards