New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cisco 6509 vlan tagging (802.1q) with HP 2524

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Cisco 6509 vlan tagging (802.1q) with HP 2524

Hello,
I would like to start using the vlan features on our HP 2524's with our 6509. We have about 50 vlans which are generally split up by department. Some departments are in the same building and so it would be nice for the HP's to handle multiple departments traffic. I have tried to set this up before but didn't have much luck. I have configured the 6509 to trunk port 5/17 which origianlly carried vlan 41 traffic and as an experiment I added vlan 40 to that trunk. I set it to "set trunk 5/17 on dot1q" because I don't know if the HP's know the desiarable feature from Cisco. On the HP I have added the additional vlan 40 with 802.1q ID = 40 (Is that right?) I tried it with an ip address and with out but don't know which to do. Do I have to tag every port that will carry a different vlan other than the default or can I just tag the uplink which will carry the multiple vlans. Has anyone else been able to set this up and if so how did you do it? Ultimanly I want anyone that pluggins into a particluar port to be assigned the ip address of the vlan they should be in so I figured that might mean I have to tag all the ports....Could someone explain this a little better....Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi.

Let's see if I can clarify this for you a little bit.

First of all, note that what HP calls "trunking" has nothing whatsoever to do with VLANs, it's Ling Aggregation. HP talks about VLAN tagging.

Assume that you have 2 VLANs configured to the 2524: VLAN 1 with ports 1 - 10 and VLAN 2 with ports 11 - 20. All these ports must be UNTAGGED for the VLAN they belong to and NO for the other VLAN.

HP VLANs are strictly port-based, so any device you connect to port 5 will automatically be a member of VLAN 1. The devices in different VLANs must be in different subnets, however, say you have VLAN 1 devices in 10.10.1.0 and VLAN 2 devices in 10.10.2.10. I actually don't know what happens if you connect a device with VLAN 1 IP address to VLAN 2 port... maybe that's something to be tested tomorrow :-) You shouldn't do it, anyway.

Then you want to make an uplink to the Cisco device with say, port 24, and you make that port a TAGGED member of both VLANs.

... and that's really all there is to it on HP side. Then the port will carry the info from both VLANs.

I'd suggest you check out the Management and Configuration guide of 2524, you can find that from www.hp.com/rnd under Technical Support and Manuals. That's a very good source of information and has good config examples as well.

HTH,
Arimo
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Thank you for clarify this for me. If I may I have a few more questions. I just tried what you said where I add the vlans and changed the untagged/no status and then tagged for the uplink which in my case is port 1 for right now. To make things more congruent I created vlan 40 and 41....41 is the vlan that was default but I changed the newly added Vlan40 to be primary. All of the "default" vlan (which is not my primary) is set to no (this may be the problem) and when I set port 1 tagged for both vlan 40 and 41 I lose conctivity outside of my subnet. But I still can ping the switch. Am I still doing something wrong?
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Thank you for clarify this for me. If I may I have a few more questions. I just tried what you said where I add the vlans and changed the untagged/no status and then tagged for the uplink which in my case is port 1 for right now. To make things more congruent I created vlan 40 and 41....41 is the vlan that was default but I changed the newly added Vlan40 to be primary. All of the "default" vlan (which is not my primary) is set to no (this may be the problem) and when I set port 1 tagged for both vlan 40 and 41 I lose conctivity outside of my subnet. But I still can ping the switch. Am I still doing something wrong?
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Thank you for clarify this for me. If I may I have a few more questions. I just tried what you said where I add the vlans and changed the untagged/no status and then tagged for the uplink which in my case is port 1 for right now. To make things more congruent I created vlan 40 and 41....41 is the vlan that was default but I changed the newly added Vlan40 to be primary. All of the "default" vlan (which is not my primary) is set to no (this may be the problem) and when I set port 1 tagged for both vlan 40 and 41 I lose conctivity outside of my subnet. But I still can't ping the switch. Am I still doing something wrong?
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Thank you for clarify this for me. If I may I have a few more questions. I just tried what you said where I add the vlans and changed the untagged/no status and then tagged for the uplink which in my case is port 1 for right now. To make things more congruent I created vlan 40 and 41....41 is the vlan that was default but I changed the newly added Vlan40 to be primary. All of the "default" vlan (which is not my primary) is set to no (this may be the problem) and when I set port 1 tagged for both vlan 40 and 41 I lose conctivity outside of my subnet. But I still can't ping the switch. Am I still doing something wrong?
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

I apologize for all the replies but there is a trememdous lag which leads me to believe that the message did not go through. Sorry.
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

I would start looking at the Cisco configuration very closely. I'm not able to help with that one (yet :-) but there are others, like Ron, in the forum who are.

I actually would leave the default VLAN unchanged and just add the VLANs I need to use.

Once more in a nutshell:
- VLAN 40 must be in a different subned from VLAN 41
- Port 1 must be TAGGED for both VLANs, other ports must be UNTAGGED.
- You need a router to make communication from one VLAN to another. Comms between VLANs is not possible otherwise.

HTH,
Arimo