New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cisco 6509 vlan tagging (802.1q) with HP 2524

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Too fast clicking...

Do NOT tag the other ports in VLANs. If you tag a port that leads to a PC, you need a 802.1Q capable NIC in that PC, otherwise the NIC will drop all packets.

If the NIC is 802.1Q compatible, it will be mentioned in the NIC specs. Most current NICs are NOT compatible.

Arimo
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008012ecf3.shtml

is a good explanation of how to do trunking on the 6000 series switches.

The nature of VLANs is that they stop communication between ports which are not in the same VLAN. In order to communicate between VLANs you have to move up to layer three and use a router (or a layer 3 switch) to route between VLANs. The 6500 series can have a builtin in internal router but I think it's an extra cost option. You can trunk to a Cisco router but how you do it depends on its IOS level (if Native VLAN is in the trunk).

To test your setup you have to put a port in the 6509 in VLAN 40 and another port on the HP in 40 too. A PC plugged into the VLAN 40 port on the 6500 should then be able to communicate with a PC plugged into the VLAN 40 port on the HP (as long as they are both in the same IP subnet). No tagging on either port. Only tag the port going to the 6509.

Your original statement:
"Ultimately I want anyone that plugs into a particluar port to be assigned the ip address of the vlan they should be in so I figured that might mean I have to tag all the ports" implies you are going to use a DHCP server. The DHCP server will need to have a presence on each VLAN. While there are a few out there now that can use trunking most cannot so the easy way is to put in a NIC for each VLAN that the DHCP server has to assign addresses on. Then each NIC is plugged into its own port on the switch and all ports on the VLAN associated with that port will get an IP address in the subnet assigned to that VLAN. As previously mentioned the port itself is assigned to a VLAN so you do not need to tag traffic on a port and most of the time the other end would not understand tagging anyway.

Ron
Nick_87
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help guys....I should be able to straighten this out now.
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

You can also use a router as a DHCP server. The router is perfect for this function, because it is directly connected to the serviced networks (at least to some of them), functions as an essential service component, and plays a critical role in the network security infrastructure. Having two local routers means you have your primary and backup DHCP servers already.
Cisco currently provide support for DHCP client, relay and server services in the IOS. DHCP relay support has been in place since IOS version 10.2. IOS 12.0.1T introduced IOS DHCP server support, followed by client support in IOS 12.1x.
Naturally for the router to function as a DHCP server (or relay, for that matter), the service must be enabled. This is active by default on most routers.
BR,
Dmitry