1753316 Members
4866 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cisco Catalyst vs. HPProcurve RSTP Compatibility

EMILIO ARIAS_1
Advisor

Cisco Catalyst vs. HPProcurve RSTP Compatibility

I've some core-switches Cisco Catalyst 3750G with firmware "IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-JK9SV-M), Version 12.2(18)SXD, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)" and interconected with them some core-switches HP Procurve 9304M with firmware "07.8.00aT53". My question is:
Is there some problem of compatibility between the "rapid-pvst"(cisco stp protocol)and the "RSTP"(802-1w) of HP?(I've convergence speed problems)Thanks in advance.
Mersault
3 REPLIES 3
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

Here is the list of STP family protocols supported by cisco switches:

Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) / 802.1D
Common Spanning Tree (CST or CSTP) * Actually STP and CST is the same.
Rapid STP (RSTP) / 802.1w
Multiple Instance STP (MISTP or MSTP) / 802.1s
Per VLAN Spanning Tree (PVST) * Cisco Proprietary
Per VLAN Spanning Tree Plus (PVST+) * Cisco Proprietary

Here is a list of STP family protocols supported by HP 9304M (actually Foundry)

Common Spanning Tree (CST or CSTP)
Rapid STP (RSTP) / 802.1w
Multiple Instance STP (MISTP or MSTP) / 802.1s * In the roadmap, next release
Per VLAN Spanning Tree (PVST) * Cisco Proprietary, via patent
Per VLAN Group STP PVGST * Foundry Proprietary (based on IEEE 802.1s)
SuperSpan * Foundry Proprietary
Metro Ring Protocol MRP * Foundry Proprietary

I advise you to use RSTP. It is fast easy and standard based. There is no rapid-pvst protocol. More info about STP family on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html Iâ m not sure about HP9304M, but Cisco switch will require to reboot after STP mode change.
Regnar Bang Lyngsø_2
Frequent Advisor

There is a rapid PVST+

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008047627f.html

Rapid PVST+â This spanning-tree mode is the same as PVST+ except that is uses a rapid convergence based on the IEEE 802.1w standard. To provide rapid convergence, the rapid PVST+ immediately deletes dynamically learned MAC address entries on a per-port basis upon receiving a topology change. By contrast, PVST+ uses a short aging time for dynamically learned MAC address entries.

The rapid PVST+ uses the same configuration as PVST+ (except where noted), and the switch needs only minimal extra configuration. The benefit of rapid PVST+ is that you can migrate a large PVST+ install base to rapid PVST+ without having to learn the complexities of the MSTP configuration and without having to reprovision your network. In rapid-PVST+ mode, each VLAN runs its own spanning-tree instance up to the maximum supported.

Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

I take my words back. There is rapid PVST+. Looks like I overlook this area during my last CCNP re-certification. :|

From the Cisco guide: "The switch must run all STP instances in one of these modes: PVST+, rapid PVST+, or MST. In other words, you cannot run STP in any two modes at the same time.
When you enable the MST mode, RSTP is automatically enabled."