108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cisco HSRP and Procurve VRRP

SOLVED
Go to solution
ywlow
Occasional Contributor

Cisco HSRP and Procurve VRRP

Dear all, i got one cisco coreswitch to be converted to Procurve soon. But i'm not sure how the transitions from HSRP and VRRP will cause any problem. Attached the Cisco configuration. I can't set the virtual ip address differ with my vlan ip. For example VLAN 1 ip is 192.168.1.251, for the vrrp virtual ip i need to set back to point back the same vlan 1 ip. Is there any possibility that i can set to other virtual ip ?
10 REPLIES 10
Natasha Samoylenko
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cisco HSRP and Procurve VRRP

VRRP requires virtual IP to be the same as VLAN IP only when switch configured as owner for that VLAN.
If you configure two switches as backup you can use any IP.

VRRP config:
vlan 10
ip address 10.1.10.2 255.255.255.0
tagged A3,A5

vrrp vrid 10
backup
virtual-ip-address 10.1.10.1 255.255.255.0
enable
exit
exit
vlan 20
ip address 10.1.20.2 255.255.255.0
tagged A1,A3

vrrp vrid 20
backup
virtual-ip-address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0
enable
exit
exit
Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

after that, remember to set the command "virtual-ip-ping"...
ywlow
Occasional Contributor

Natasha - Thanks for the info ! I've configure the the virtual ip same with my vlan ip.

Mauro Furini - As for the "virtual-ip-ping", i can't find it at the CLI command pdf. When the master down, the slave will take over. But it seems that we can't ping the gateway anymore.. does the virtual-ip-ping command enable us to ping the virtual ip ? Please guide me to this command. Thanks !
Natasha Samoylenko
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes, virtual-ip-ping command allow you to ping the virtual IP.
This command was in release notes, but I don't see it in configuration guide for software 14.xx.
In docs for 15.xx software it already listed.

From release notes:
=====
Enables or disables the response to a ping request for the switch. When enabled, all
VRs that are not Owners and are not explicitly disabled (see virtual-ip-ping enabled command) respond to ping requests sent to the VIP when the Backup VR is acting
as Master.
Default: Response to Virtual IP ping is disabled.
=====

sw(config)# router vrrp virtual-ip-ping
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

pinging the virtual ip addr when the backup is answering it, is available at K.14.47 code.

It is an enabled feature on each vrid, but you must enable it globally for it to work:

'router vrrp virtual-ip-ping'

hth...Jeff
ywlow
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Natasha & Jeff for the info ! Happy networking guys & gals !

Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

@Jeff: i don't understand a point: make sense enable the virtual-ip-ping in every vrrp instance when i must enable it globally to make it pingable?
maybe i'm in confusion :)
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

ywlow said "@Jeff: i don't understand a point: make sense enable the virtual-ip-ping in every vrrp instance when i must enable it globally to make it pingable?
maybe i'm in confusion :)"

The feature has 2 components for it to work:
1) a global command to enable it (which is off by default)
2) a command to enable it for each VRID (which is on by default).

So, to be able to ping a virtual-IP address (VIP) when the "backup router" is sponsoring the VIP, you need the feature to be on globally and locally.

After you enable the global command, you can then disable the pinging of a specific VIP if needed.

This feature is similar to configuring routing: a global command to enable it, and a local (in a vlan) command to configure the network for routing.

hth...Jeff
Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

aaaaaa :)
ok thanks, now is clear.
Another puzzle, while we're here: in your opinion, why is not possible to telnet the virtual ip but only the ip of the physic interface?