New Discussion юеВ

Cisco and HP VLAN Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Cornwell
Occasional Advisor

Cisco and HP VLAN Question

Hello!
I am currently doing some research into setting up VLAN's for my company. Here is the hardware and the configuration of my test bench.
Cisco:
2611 Router
2950 Switch (2)
HP:
2524 Switch

I started with the Cisco hardware and have each switch set as it's own VLAN (2,3,4). The router is hooked up to VLAN2 and set as a "trunk". The other switches are hooked up to the main switch in the same fasion as the router. The second 2950 is VLAN3 and the 2524 is VLAN4. I have the router setup as a dhcp server to give out a different subnet to each VLAN. When I plug a pc into either of the Cisco's I get the proper IP. If I plug a pc into the HP I don't get anything. I have half the ports set as untagged on the Default-Vlan and the other half as Untagged on VLAN4. The main (trunk) port I have set for all vlans tagged. I don't know what else to do to get a pc to see any other device. The real kicker is each VLAN interface can get a DHCP address with the correct subnet/vlan but a PC can't. If I plug the pc into either the Default or VLAN4 still nothing.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Re: Cisco and HP VLAN Question

Please post "show run" from each device, I think that would help at this point.
Eric Cornwell
Occasional Advisor

I'm not going to post everything (I have to type it all) but here is the important info. This is the Cisco switch:

vtp mode transparent

vlan 2
name VLAN2-Test
!
vlan 3
name VLAN3-Test
!
vlan 4
name VLAN4-Test

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport mode trunk

interface FastEthernet0/2
switchport mode trunk

interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport access vlan 2
spanning-tree portfast
interface FastEthernet0/9
switchport mode trunk

interface FastEthernet0/10
switchport access vlan2
spanning-tree portfast
interface FastEthernet0/24
switchport access vlan2
spanning-tree portfast

interface Vlan 1
ip address 192.168.1.1

ip default-gateway 192.168.2.1

end

The other cisco switch is configured in a similar way only vlan 3 is used instead of 2 and there aren't as many trunks (only 1).

HP Switch:

vlan 1
name "DEFAULT-VLAN"
untagged 9-26
ip address 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0
tagged 1
no untagged 2-8
exit
vlan 2
name "VLAN2"
ip address dhcp-bootp
tagged 1
exit
vlan 3
name "VLAN3"
ip address dhcp-bootp
tagged 1
exit
vlan 4
name "VLAN4"
untagged 2-8
ip address dhcp-bootp
tagged 11
exit

I hope that's everything.
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor
Solution

Ok, let's see...

On the first Catalyst, ports Fa0/1, Fa0/2 and Fa0/9 are used to connect to the router, to the second Catalyst and to 2524. They seem to be ok (Catalysts trunk all VLANs by default).

On the 2524, I assume that you use port 1 to connect to the Catalyst. On port 1, you have no untagged VLAN, and have VLANs 1, 2 and 3 as tagged. This means that your 2524 won't be able to connect to the Catalyst with VLAN 1 as Catalyst trunks have VLAN 1 as native (untagged) by default.

VLAN 4, on the other hand, is tagged to port 11 (or is it a typo?), which is probably not connected to the Catalyst. So, VLAN 4 has no connection to the Catalyst (and thus to the DHCP server).

So, make sure that on the 2524 the Catalyst-connected port has VLAN 1 as untagged and VLAN 4 as tagged. After that the VLAN 4 untagged ports should be able to reach the router.

What kind of configuration do you have on the router (and which IOS version)?
Eric Cornwell
Occasional Advisor

There are 2 catalyst switches. One switch I've set as a "main" switch. Fa0/1 goes to the second catalyst, Fa0/2 goes to the HP2524, and Fa0/9 goes to the router.

Just before I got your message I set the HP to have vlan1 untagged on the first port (the port that goes to the catalyst).

There was a typo as well, 11 was really supposed to be 1. I have all the VLAN's tagged on port 1 execpt the default vlan.

I can ping the switch now and recieve a dhcp address but only as long as the pc is plugged into the ports that are untagged for the default vlan. When I plug it into the VLAN4 ports I can't get an address.

The router is setup with 3 sub interfaces with dot1Q encapsulation. When I plug the pc into one of the cisco's I get a proper address.

Thanks! :)
Eric Cornwell
Occasional Advisor

I don't know what happened but it works now.

Thanks!!!
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

You're welcome, hope the situation has stabilized now.