1748180 Members
3825 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cleaning up Default VLAN

Dave Costello
Advisor

Cleaning up Default VLAN

Right now I have my switches and my hosts existing on the same network, 10.1.x.x/16. My switches, 4 2848's, are numbered 10.1.0.2 - 10.1.0.5. My hosts are also in the 10.1.x.x/16 network. Everything exists untagged in the Default VLAN. I'd like to get my hosts out of the Default VLAN and use it as the management VLAN. In order to do this, I'd like to creat VLAN 10 with the ip addy of 10.1.x.x/16 and move my hosts into it. The only problem is that I can't create the VLAN with the ip addy because of the switches.

Here's what I think might work.
1 - change the addys of the switches to 192.168.1.x/24
2 - create VLAN 10 with the addy of 10.1.x.x/16
3 - change my hosts from Untagged in the Default VLAN to Untagged in VLAN 10
4 - change Default VLAN to be Management VLAN

My question is this: After step 1, changing the switch addys, the Default VLAN will be renumbered to the switch addys. Will this Default VLAN still pass traffic from the 10.1.x.x hosts? I'm assuming it will since the ports these hosts are on will still be untagged in the Default VLAN at that point.

4 REPLIES 4
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cleaning up Default VLAN

Have you considered making VLAN 10 the management VLAN instead and assigning it the new address range?

How many hosts vs. switches do you have in your network?

Dave Costello
Advisor

<< Have you considered making VLAN 10 the <
<
If I make VLAN 10 the management VLAN that still leaves my hosts on the Default VLAN. Part of what I want to do is to get my hosts off the Default VLAN. One of the problems/features I've discovered is that the switches don't route IP on the Default VLAN. I'm assuming this was done with the idea that the Default VLAN would be the management VLAN.

I have 12 2848's on the network so changing their ip's isn't that big of a deal.

I'm assuming that changing the addy's of the switches won't disrupt the flow of traffic through them since it wouldn't seem to make a difference what the host addys were as long as the ports are tagged correctly.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Only when you use the 'management-vlan' option under a VLAN interface will it stop routing that VLAN. You can change this to any VLAN - in this case if you change it from VLAN1 to VLAN10, VLAN1 should be routable.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

What Matt explained was what I had in mind when I asked - yes you should be able to do what you are intending.

If uptime is an absolute necessity I would go with moving the switches to a new management VLAN to reduce the risk of a missed port and have someone scream the network has gone down. :)