cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing counters

John Anvari
Advisor

Clearing counters

I have a 4108gl that I want to clear the rx error counters. I have tried several methods to do this. the switch is on the 53 firmware. when i issue the command "clear statistics all" they all zero out. but as soon as i close the telnet session and come back in all of the counters are back where they were. I have gone through the menu to the counters page and reset each port individually. but with the same results. I have also tried it through the web interface with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
7 REPLIES
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

Re: Clearing counters

Hi!
the only well-known method,that i read, is to be started the SWITCHES again.
No so helpfull, but it is philosophie by hp?
cm60
John Anvari
Advisor

I am not sure what your suggestion means. Could you be more specific please?
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

The only way at the moment is to reboot the switch. The clear stat command only applies to the currently running telnet/management session .

Its quite a design flaw that I hope is fixed soon.
John Anvari
Advisor

Thanks. I hope so to. Maybe yuo can answer another question for me on the same note. what in your opinion would be considered an exsessive amount of rx errors. I have a school that is complaining of slow login times and when I looked at the switch I had alot of ports with just something in the range of 1 to 10 errors. But then I found a bunch with over a hundred and a few in the 800 range. These have me concerned. That is why I wanted to clear the counters and start watching how fast they grow.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

I wouldn't be worried about the 1-10 errors or even the low hundreds. Seeing high hundreds or thousands would cause me to look at changing speed duplex or checking nics/cabling.
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Just my 2 cents on why you cannot reset the counters.

It is generally considered a poor practice to reset the counters due to the fact that multiple management stations and applications could be monitoring them. Each application is expecting the counter to be >= to its previous value.

So in the SNMP world, it is expected that application itself will do the math. Zeroing the counter in session simply tells the application to record the current value of the counter and subtract that value from all future values before the value is displayed.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

But then if you have devices or uplinkgs that have been moved between ports, the historical data on the switch becomes invalid and unhelpful unless you reboot the switch. The facility should be there and the users could accept the consequences of clearing counters.