Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748112 Members
3490 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuration assistance in trunking vlans

Acameron

Configuration assistance in trunking vlans

How do I trunk two vlans across switches to keep one of two vlans on the Procurves and a second vlan access from external hosts?
I have four Procurve switches with two vlans across the four devices. One vlan is standalone across the four to carry file backup traffic from multiple hosts to a backup server. The second vlan is for management from external hosts. I have them cabled together and from a pc on one can ssh to each switch. I cannot verify though if on the same cabling traffic would flow to a backup server on the 1st vlan.
7 REPLIES 7
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I cannot view the attached document.

But when you only creasted vlan's and have not setup routing, traffic won't flow between the vlan's.
Acameron

I attached the MS Word document again with the show info and an image of my intended topology.

I want to maintain basic segregation between two vlans 75 and 302 where on the inter-switch cabling carries the file backup traffic hosted on vlan 75 and external management traffic flows on vlan 302.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

sorry still cannot view document

only see line "Overview of proposed topology"
when opening with texteditor, can see more text is present, but this does not show in word (MS-word "hangs"), no images either.
(my word version from office 2003 SP3)
Acameron

Odd, I have attached the document again with the image inserted in a differnt format. I hope this works. I created it from MS Word 2007 but saved it as a Word 97-2003 doc.

Thanks.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

this version I can view.
In your current config the connection between the switches is NOT a trunk.
only vlan 302 passes untagged on ports 25-26

So your goal:
>>> One vlan is standalone across the four to carry file backup traffic from multiple hosts to a backup server. <<<
will not be reached with the current config.
Each VLAN75 is contained within each switch and can NOT communicate with the backupserver.

to achieve that you must change the "trunk" ports into real trunk ports to pass VLAN-75 tagged to the other switches.
In this process I should also configure other VLAN's on those ports as tagged instead of untagged (but that's no must, only one vlan can be untagged other vlans on a trunk must be tagged).

== "BDC-UNI-INF-BKUP-A" ==
vlan 75
name "File_Backups"
untagged 2-23
tagged 24
exit
vlan 302
name "BDC_Secure"
untagged 1,23
tagged 24
exit
== "BDC-UNI-INF-BKUP-B" ==
vlan 75
name "File_Backups"
untagged 1-24
tagged 25,26
exit
vlan 302
name "BDC_Secure"
tagged 25,26
exit
== "BDC-UNI-INF-BKUP-C" ==
vlan 75
name "File_Backups"
untagged 1-24
tagged 25,26
exit
vlan 302
name "BDC_Secure"
tagged 25,26
exit
== "BDC-UNI-INF-BKUP-D" ==
vlan 75
name "Backup_VLAN"
untagged 1-24
tagged 25,26
exit
vlan 302
name "BDC_Secure"
tagged 25,26
exit

Acameron

Hi, much better success. I was able to target all vlan 302 IPs from my PC. I then -re-addressed my PC with another and moved amongst the four switches to any vlan 75 port sending files and pinging successfuly. One curious behavior though.
In some circumstances, when I moved the target PC to a new port, it would not answer pings until I went to it and issued a ping back to the second host.

Why would this occur?
Acameron

As a follow-on to this setup exercise, I would be cabling a port from VLAN 302 on one of the Procurves to a port on a Cisco 3550 merely as access for monitoring and exception alerts.

Are there certain configuration issues on the Procurve I must consider?

Thanks...