1752826 Members
4103 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring Active-Active for Procurve Switch

Fazrul
Occasional Contributor

Configuring Active-Active for Procurve Switch

We currebtly have 2 Procurve 4208vl core switch (A and B). We want to configure it in an Active-Active state where our HP server's 2 network interface will be teamed and connected to each switch (NIC1 to switchA and NIC to switchB). The ports that we connect in the 2 switches needs to be trunked. How do I do this? Any guide/manual? I checked the Management and Configuration guide but this kind of setup is not explained in it.

This is what we plan to do:
Switch A has module A (24 ports) and Switch B has module A (24 ports).
1. Switch A and B configured in Active-Active mode.
2. Module A Port 1 in Switch A and Module A Port 1 in Switch B needs to be trunked.
3. Server NIC1 will connect to Switch A, Module A, Port1. Server NIC2 will connect to Switch B, Module A, Port 1.

This way, if one switch, UTP cable, or Server NIC fails, the server will still be reachable.

The VLAN for the modules are not configured (just the default VLAN). The switches sole purpose is for our storage.

Thanks.

Abdul Fazrul
4 REPLIES 4
Tomas Kovac
Occasional Visitor

I don't think this is possible supported on ProCurve switches. Basically it would be load balancing and i really never heard that procurve is able do active-active load balance like foundry or cisco.

Maybe i overlooked it but i don't see it also on feature matrix:

http://h40060.www4.hp.com/procurve/uk/en/pdfs/quick_reference/quick_reference_EEE.pdf

So I think you have following options.

- Put 2 modules to same switches and create trunk between ports from different modules, so if one fail your server is still reachable. However this will not provide you redundancy when whole switch fail.
- configure teaming on server so when one NIC fail, 2nd connected on other switch will be enabled. I think there is various settings of teaming on servers so maybe there would be possible setup some kind of loadbalancing in order to use both NICs

Good luck.

Tomas
Shio Soon Siang
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks for Tomas replied. but anyway can it be done by Procurve?

I hope it gotta have some way to configure it. Anyone know? Kindly please help.

Thanks

Shio
Paulen
Regular Advisor

I am really on thin ice here, but you might be able to stack the switches, thus treating them as one.

I have never tried this though.
Shio Soon Siang
Occasional Advisor

Hi Paulen,

Thanks for replied.

I tried stack but it just devices management. When will the new firmware release for switches clustering?

Thanks