1752754 Members
5464 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring IP address through switch console

FredBarker

Configuring IP address through switch console

Hello,

I have had a 4000M switch for some years and have managed to loose the manuals and serial cable to configure it!

I recently reset the switch to factory basics expecting it to otain an ip addrees via DHCP so that I could at least use the web interface but it doesnt seem to have been assigned an ip address.

My question is : Can any one tell where I can get the instructions for what I need to do in order to access the switch console using HyperTerminal ?

Also do I need a straight forward null modem cable or a cross over as I understand some of the procurve switches require different cables.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Fred;

Hate to be one of those people who suggests reading the manual. But have you tried reading the manual? Check out ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59676916.pdf and go to page 33 of the PDF. It's entitled "8. (Optional) Connect a Console to the Switch" and I think it will tell you all you need.

It's a standard HP serial cable which every Procurve switch comes with. So you might find a nice person in the UK who has a bunch of them spare (such as me) might send you one. Or maybe even HP would.

Cheers,

Drew
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

After the factory reset (reset in, clear in, reset out - wait for self test to blink - clear out) it should have received an address via DHCP. You can then check the DHCP server and cross-reference the mac-address.

If still no luck, what I would do is download tftpd32 which can also be used as a small DHCP server, connect that machine directly to the switch, (remove it from the rest of the network so you don't start accidently giving out IP addresses to everyone), factory reset the switch again, and hopefully when it comes up it will request an IP address from that machine. At which point you can telnet in or go to the web interface, set a static IP for the switch and then place it back on your network.

Hopefully this will save you the small cost of a console cable (which are null modem).
FredBarker

Thanks to you both for the advice . I would have read the manual if I had one but your link to the download is appreaciated and has aready prooved usful. I just couldnt seem to locate on the HP site. Also the tftpd32 download works great. So thanks again.

Fred.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

Glad we could help, don't forget to assign points as it encourages people to answer any other questions you may have in the future.

Matt

-----------------------
How Do I Assign Points?

Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.
-----------------------