108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring multiple VLAN's across multiple switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

majikman said: "I was short one mini-GBIC, so I thought "no problem, I have some others (not HP brand)". Hmmmm. Ya, that's not going to work."

True.

AND, make sure you have the appropriate HP ProCurve "version" of an HP ProCurve mini-gbic.

There are rev A, B, and C. Many of the 4yr old'ish switches require Rev B, and newer than that switches require Rev C. and HP tech support will not swap them out if its the "wrong rev" cause it's not "faulty".

Search the HP networking support site for the pdf that lists mini-gbic revs-to-switch requirements.

hth...Jeff
majikman
Occasional Advisor

And just to follow up to Jaap's last comment.

Currently there are 6 fiber pairs between each building. So I will be building a trunk between each building.

Also, there is one more building that will be added to this network and from there another fiber will be run back to building A - creating a loop.

majikman
Occasional Advisor

This is the config I'll be trying out once a new HP GBIC arrives;

Building A
switchA(config)# trunk 47-48 trk1 trunk
switchA(config)# vlan business tag trk1
switchA(config)# vlan camp tag trk1
switchA(config)# vlan voip tag trk1

Building B
switchB(config)# trunk 21-22 trk1 trunk
switchB(config)# trunk 23-24 trk2 trunk
switchB(config)# vlan business tag trk1
switchB(config)# vlan camp tag trk1
switchB(config)# vlan voip tag trk1
switchB(config)# vlan business tag trk2
switchB(config)# vlan camp tag trk2
switchB(config)# vlan voip tag trk2

Building C
switchC(config)# trunk B21-B22 trk2 trunk
switchC(config)# trunk B23-B24 trk3 trunk
switchC(config)# vlan business tag trk2
switchC(config)# vlan camp tag trk2
switchC(config)# vlan voip tag trk2
switchC(config)# vlan business tag trk3
switchC(config)# vlan camp tag trk3
switchC(config)# vlan voip tag trk3

Building D
switchD(config)# trunk 21-22 trk3 trunk
switchD(config)# vlan business tag trk3
switchD(config)# vlan camp tag trk3
switchD(config)# vlan voip tag trk3

Basically what I'm trying to do is trunk 2 1GB fiber links between each switch. Then I'm creating the three vlans on each switch and tagging them. So the two fiber pairs on switchA ports 47 and 48 terminate in switch B port 21 and 22. And the fiber from switchB port 23 and 24 terminates in switch C 21 and 22, etc...

If this looks OK then what I think the next step will be is to assign specific ports on each switch to the vlans and set their mode. Is that correct?
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

majikman said:"If this looks OK then what I think the next step will be is to assign specific ports on each switch to the vlans and set their mode. Is that correct?"

Basically looks good.

Untag your device ports into the appropriate vlans and you should be ready to go.

hth...Jeff
majikman
Occasional Advisor

I tried implementing this config. Between switch A and B I have link lights on the trunk ports. But I can't ping from one switch to the other. Any ideas?
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

majikman said: "But I can't ping from one switch to the other. Any ideas?"

We will need to see your configs to assist.
majikman
Occasional Advisor

I ended up getting it working. It was my fault. I had made a typo and didn't notice it until I looked at it for the fourth time. I guess that's what happens when you do late night maintenance like this! Thanks for all the help!
majikman
Occasional Advisor

Actually before I close this thread, lpease help a little with QoS. One of the vlans I created is for VOIP, which I am thinking should have a higher QoS than the other two vlans. Do I need to enable DSCP policies (not too sure how they function) or can I just set priorities?
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

majikman asked: "a little with QoS. One of the vlans I created is for VOIP, which I am thinking should have a higher QoS than the other two vlans. Do I need to enable DSCP policies (not too sure how they function) or can I just set priorities?"

For ProCurve managed switches, QoS at layer 2 (802.1p) is automatically processed according to the 802.1p setting the switch may receive from a VoIP phone (many already send both 802.1p and DCSP, with a priority of 6).

If your phone doesn't send either, then you can simply set 'qos pri 6' on the voip vlan on the edge switch. That will work for that edge switch, then as long as all the links for the voip vlan are tagged between all switches, that same priority setting will pass to all switches, and they will process it accordingly. If you traverse a non-tag (802.1Q) link such as a router, then you need to map the layer2 to layer3 so that DSCP will traverse that non-tag link. 'qos type-of-service diff-services' is this function.

hth...Jeff
kevinslab2007
Occasional Visitor

How do you untag the VLAN to the port?