Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring static IP route for VLAN on 2626

SOLVED
Go to solution
HK Yap
Occasional Visitor

Configuring static IP route for VLAN on 2626

I have configured additional VLAN on the HP 2626 switch, but I can't get the traffic to route from one VLAN to another VLAN within the switch.

Do I need an external router to route the traffic? Can I do without an external router?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Re: Configuring static IP route for VLAN on 2626

Hi,
you need to enable ip routing, add a route to your gateway and at your gateway you need a route to the switch.
for example

ip routing
vlan 1
ip address 192.168.0.5/24
vlan 2
ip address 192.168.1.5/24

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 <-ip of default gateway

and at your default gateway something like
ip route 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.0.5

client default gateway vlan 2

then it should work.
hope this helps
alex
HK Yap
Occasional Visitor

Hi EckerA,

Thanks for your advice, I actually managed to get that working but my question is, what if i do not have a router? Can I still make the vlan communicate with one another? I read somewhere in the manual that an IP static route is required, but I'm not sure how to do i?

Thanks
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Hi,
if you are configuring the switch like i said, the routing between the vlans is done by the switch not by the router. and of course you can do all you routing with the switch, but then you would need an ethernetconnection for your WAN side. and i don't know exactly but i thing the 2626 only does static routing and a limited amount of static routes.
hope this helps
alex
EckerA
Respected Contributor
Solution

ah sorry,
if you don't have a router just enable ip routing and the default gateway for the clients is the ip of the switch. you then don't need to add a route, cos the switch is adding them itself. the additional route is just needed if you have a gateway for other subnets or WAN.
alex
HK Yap
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Alex,

I got it working this time, not sure why it did not work the previous time around. cheers