Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752751 Members
4867 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring wireless edge module to work with RADIUS and active directory?

nic_9
Advisor

Configuring wireless edge module to work with RADIUS and active directory?

Hello,

We have a 5406zl running a wireless edge module (j9051a). Our wireless is up and running.

Im trying to get the authentication to work with our Active Directory environment, but frankly having a hard time setting up the RADIUS configuration.

1-Anyone have a walk through for using the switch based RADIUS? I find the documentation quite thin.

2-How can have the wireless module use a RADIUS server running on my AD controller?
3 REPLIES 3
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Are you trying to use the Internal RADIUS ? or an External one ?

If external, what is the RADIUS service you are using ?

If internal, the steps are really quit clear in the Documentation,

However, i suggest you simplify it with a built in RADIUS and local users.

Once its ok, and life is good, then you can move to the Integration with your MS Active Directory.

Let us know how things will go with you.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

radius is a protocol.
you need some service to connect your devices to an authentication server.

Your AD-controller itself is not a radius server!
you need an extra service (like MS-IAS = internet authentication service, or cisco secure ACS) on a server wich receives radius-requests,authenticates with AD and respond back to the networking device.
I think MS advices to install the IAS service on another host than the domain-controller.

regards
Pieter
Jarret Workman
HPE Pro

Hello Nic,

You can either use the local RADIUS on the WESM and/or an external IAS RADIUS server. If you would like to use the internal RADIUS server, but use data from your current Active Directory, I believe you would need an LDAP server for the user information.

Depending on the number of user accounts and groups you have in Active Directory, you might consider either pointing the WESM to the current IAS server and add the WESM as a RADIUS client, or you could manually enter your users and groups in the WESM and use the internal RADIUS.

Accept or Kudo