New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting 2 Data Centers thru Fiber Optic Patch Panels

SOLVED
Go to solution
Medo Taz
Occasional Contributor

Connecting 2 Data Centers thru Fiber Optic Patch Panels

Hello All,
at customer site,they are going to move their equipments and data from old DC to a new one located at the same floor.the distance between them around 100m.so in order to migrate their data to the new storage which is installed in new DC,they need to extend their SAN environment to comprise the new DC without buying new switches,by installing fiber Optic patch panels in each DC(old & New)then moving one switch (redundant Fabric)to the new DC.after that they will connect these 2 patch panels with fiber links OM3,and from the patch panels they will connect their SAN Component thru FC patch cords OM3,with max length 50m,so the max cable segment they might get is around 170m.
My conecrn is:will the customer face any issues with this solution (patch panels loss,any loss or attenuation in signals or during data migration?
and any other concerns,ideas,recommendations you can provide please?
3 REPLIES 3
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You shouldn't have any trouble at all with multi-mode fibre over those distances. I would just make sure that you have a copy of the test results from the company that installed the structured fibre (patch panel to patch panel) in case you have any issues later.
John Gelten
Regular Advisor

Just be sure to check the specs of your equipment for the maximum supported distance over OM3 cabling. For example, if running at 8G FC, I would get nervous if I had to run it over 170m.
Medo Taz
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,
Thanks for providing me your valubale feedback.
I got the test result for the links from the company,and hereunder one sample:

Head Room: 3.72dB (Loss)
Direction: A-B
Wavelength(nm): 850
Result: PASS
Loss(dB) -0.72
Loss Limit(dB) 3.00
Loss Margin(dB) 3.72
Reference(dBm): -24.69

Can anyone illustrate this result please since the Total Channel insertion Loss mentioned in SAN Reference Design guide indicates that Loss should not exceed 2.48dB.are these values acceptable?and can we go ahead and atsrt migration without facing any serious degredation on 4GB/Sec speed?