Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753850 Members
7419 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting two procurve 2510g switches

Louis Ciavarella

Connecting two procurve 2510g switches

We recently installed a 2510g 48 port and a 2510g 24 port switch and are not able to connect the switches using the dual personality ports. When connecting one of the dual personality ports on one switch to a dual personality port on the second switch (using the copper ports) the connection works. However, after connecting another cable so that two of the dual personality ports are connected to two of the same port on the second switch the entire switch goes down and all the lights on the ports remain on solid. Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Franklyn
Frequent Advisor

Hi Louis, can you do the following, connect the two switches using both the dual personality ports and then run a showtech for both the switches, and attach them, I guess someone in here can make out what is going on.

Good Luck!

Louis Ciavarella

Good idea except once the switches are connected I cannot access them. Perhaps I could connect to the console directly but I'm not sure how to save the log of the show tech command.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

please send me
sh log -a command print
cenk

Louis Ciavarella

Here is the log of the main switch.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"However, after connecting another cable so that two of the dual personality ports are connected to two of the same port on the second switch the entire switch goes down and all the lights on the ports remain on solid."

If I understand correctly, this is a "Doctor it hurts when I do this" kind of question. If you make a loop in your network you can get positive feedback, which is nearly always a bad thing, unless you are Jimi Hendrix.

If you want multiple connections between two switches, you can configure them as a trunk. Chapter 11 of the management guide describes setting up trunks.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi Louis

fristly enable stp on each switch

for example

sw(config)# spanning-tree [enter]

after you make trunk config two uplink port

for example

sw1(config)# trunk 23-24 trk1 trunk

sw2(config)# trunk 23-24 trk1 trunk

23-24 interface number must be uplinks port

good luck
cenk

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Stack Members
SN MAC Address System Name Device Type Status
-- ------------- ---------------- --------------------- ----------------------
0 001f28-591300 Commander-0 ProCurve 2510G-48 Commander Up
1 001f28-594100 Commander-1 ProCurve 2510G-48 Member Up
2 001f28-582e80 Commander-2 ProCurve 2510G-24 Member Up

Does this mean the switches are allready connected through a stack-cable?

Then you certainly don't want to them connected through any other network port!!!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

sorry for my previous post
I found 2510 uses "virtual stack" through network ports.
Louis Ciavarella

Well, I suppose I could go the route of setting up trunks on the switches, I just assumed that the dual personality ports served as a link to other switches, similar to the way gbics could be used to tie two switches together.