1748208 Members
2772 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting two procurves and cisco switches

Paul Clayton
Frequent Advisor

Connecting two procurves and cisco switches

I have a 5308XL, which we are trying to connect to a 4108GL via 1000sx fibre. Ihave two fibre ports as we require them for redundancy as well. Any help on configuring. I set up trunking, but no connection. The other questions is on connecting Cisco 3500 switches to the 5308XL. I set the port to "switchmode port trunk" and the 5308 to trunking with a different trunk number. Am I doing this right? Any help appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Note the terminology differences between Cisco and HP devices:

Trunk is:
- HP: a bundle of several ethernet connections
- Cisco: a link that carries several VLANs with dot1q or ISL encapsulation.

The latter question about Cisco Catalysts and HP switches. If Cisco is "switchport mode trunk", you set up the HP as follows (port A1 is connected to the Cisco as an example:

vlan 1
untagged a1
vlan 2
tagged a1
vlan 3
tagged a1
vlan x (any other vlan number that should be trunked)
tagged a1
vlan y
tagged a1
and so on.

This assumes that the Cisco has VLAN 1 as the native VLAN (this is the default situation).
Paul Clayton
Frequent Advisor

Interesting. I tried your suggestions, but could only get the Cisco to work to the Procurve 5308 by setting the Cisco to "switchport mode multi"
As for the procurve to procurve, no luck at all. The link lights are up in both directions, and I tagged the vlans, but no luck.
I must qualify, also that I have two links per switch for redundancy. Any ideas on how to configure so they use both.
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

HI

To connect 2 switches, with one fiber, plug in ports with the same topology like 1000 sx, and see that link is establish, if not, revise VLAN, port disable. Also you can see the firmware versions of both.
When first link is establish, trunking is the solution for the second link.

Regards
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Paul, I suggest that you first "practice" with one link only (no redundancy), to be sure that you handle the VLAN trunking concept.

After succeeding with one link, then make up the link bundles (EtherChannels (Cisco) or trunks (HP)), and just replace the port specifications (f.ex. A2) in the configuration with the bundle port specifications (f.ex. Trunk2).

In Cisco, making an EtherChannel creates a new interface called Port-Channel x (x is a number), and that interface name is used since it has been created.

In HP, I've not configured any link bundles, but the same concept is valid: first create the bundle, then use the bundle name instead of separate physical port names.

If you can show some configurations I guess we can help you in more detail.
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

You can also give us the interfaces (names) that should be used in the trunks, and we can try to give you example commands to configure the trunks.
Paul Clayton
Frequent Advisor

guys, Thanx for the info. I managed to get the Ciscos up and running and all connected. Interestingly, the only way I could get this running was to set the gigabit ports on the ciscos to "switchport mode multi".
Coupled with ensuring that the gig ports on the 5308 were set to auto, I got online OK.