Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753626 Members
5624 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console-port-problems...

Console-port-problems...

I have noticed problems connecting to the consoleport on different HP-switches sometimes, the only thing to do to reach the switch is to make a reset...

Switches I have noticed this on is 2524m, 2425, 4104GL, 4108GL, 5304XL.

After a reboot I have no trouble reaching them, I use TeraTerm as terminal-program. I hav tried a couple of others to but with the same result.

/Magnus
5 REPLIES 5
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Hi Magnus,

One thing you might want to try is connect the console to a good telnet session (i.e. you can access the switch) then just remove it and plug it into the other switch and hit the return key a couple of times.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Magnus,

Make sure you have the latest firmware versions on all your switches. I had the same problem with 4108GL and 2524, and this has gone away since I upgraded. In their release notes HP says something about LAND.C attack that disables access to switch console.

Check this software update site:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm

I still have this problem with my 4000M switches, but unfortunately HP has not released any new version of the code for this type of switch.

Dan
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I just red Mohamed post: I do the same thing for my 4000M. I go to a healthy 4108GL, connect my laptop to the console port, start a HyperTerm session, unplug the serial cable right after I'm in, take the laptop to the ill 4000M, connect my laptop to the console port and hit Enter a few times - and I'm in the 4000M console.

Some of the switches are updated but not all and I cant say exactly wich one the problems is on, so Ill try an upgrade and see if it helps.

/Magnus
Einar_3
Advisor

One solution to this problem with no connection on the console port is to fix the terminal speed on the switch to e.g. 9600, keep in mind that this command requires reboot.

Einar