1753727 Members
4744 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

ytotk
Occasional Contributor

Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

A 5412zl is operating fully functional and I now purchased and received another 5406zl with new Management Module J8726A that did not include compact flash.

Fortunately I have many CF cards laying around.. I removed the compact flash from the working chassis and tested it in the new chassis and module to verify all works. Then I copied the fat32 file contents of the functional 1gb Sandisk compact flash from the 5412zl to other compact cards using many different methods and different cards and I am unable to get any of them to successfully boot.

I have searched and read most relevant pdfs. HP sells a CompactFlash Kit for 5400zl Management Module 5070-1056 for $51.30 plus s/h. I assume the card comes preloaded with software but I would rather use one of the many cards I already have.

What is the correct way to provision a new compact flash for a zl chassis and J8726A Management Module? What am I missing?

When attempting to boot with one of my copied CF cards the console prints the ROM information and:
"Error, unable to find boot device.
Could not open Image file

Bad code in FLASH

Flash memory needs reprogramming or chassis could be faulty. Use a PC as the console and perform the update procedure by serial Xmodem download of the current Switch Image. If unsuccessful w/ download, then try replacing chassis.
[...]"

At the end I get a '=>' prompt.
1 REPLY 1
pt307
Advisor

Re: Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

Have you tried downloading the firmware to flash directly from the ROM? See attached PDF.

Paul