1753695 Members
6161 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

ytotk
Occasional Contributor

Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

A 5412zl is operating fully functional and I now purchased and received another 5406zl with new Management Module J8726A that did not include compact flash.

Fortunately I have many CF cards laying around.. I removed the compact flash from the working chassis and tested it in the new chassis and module to verify all works. Then I copied the fat32 file contents of the functional 1gb Sandisk compact flash from the 5412zl to other compact cards using many different methods and different cards and I am unable to get any of them to successfully boot.

I have searched and read most relevant pdfs. HP sells a CompactFlash Kit for 5400zl Management Module 5070-1056 for $51.30 plus s/h. I assume the card comes preloaded with software but I would rather use one of the many cards I already have.

What is the correct way to provision a new compact flash for a zl chassis and J8726A Management Module? What am I missing?

When attempting to boot with one of my copied CF cards the console prints the ROM information and:
"Error, unable to find boot device.
Could not open Image file

Bad code in FLASH

Flash memory needs reprogramming or chassis could be faulty. Use a PC as the console and perform the update procedure by serial Xmodem download of the current Switch Image. If unsuccessful w/ download, then try replacing chassis.
[...]"

At the end I get a '=>' prompt.
1 REPLY 1
pt307
Advisor

Re: Copying CF compact flash to new 5400zl Management Module J8726A

Have you tried downloading the firmware to flash directly from the ROM? See attached PDF.

Paul