Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752647 Members
5492 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copying firmware image from upgraded ProCurve yl/zl series to another at the same site

X.L. Ho

Copying firmware image from upgraded ProCurve yl/zl series to another at the same site

Hi,

We use a large number of 5400 and 3500 series switches at remote locations. Firmware patching via regular tftp as such takes a great deal of time.

I understand it is possible to run a tftp server off a 5400 series. Would it be possible to upgrade a single switch at such a remote site and have the other switches pull the new firmware over the local lan from said switch? I have tried various iterations of the "copy tftp flash" command to no avail.

tried commands include

"copy tftp flash 1.1.1.1 flash sec"
"copy flash 1.1.1.1 k_14_49m.swi sec"

"tftp server" is set up on the source switch 1.1.1.1 hosting the upgraded firmware.

TIA,
X.L.
3 REPLIES 3
X.L. Ho

Re: Copying firmware image from upgraded ProCurve yl/zl series to another at the same site

An Update.

I noticed the error I got with "copy tftp flash 1.1.1.1 flash sec" was "00000K Wrong File."

The same error is happening even with a manual TFTP copy from a dedicated server.

This appears to indicate the switch being updated is detecting something wrong with the image. It is a known good image as I used it for a previous buildout.

I suspect an insufficient bootrom revision is to blame for this, and that I am hitting an intentional roadblock designed to prevent me from skipping an upgrade, and thus turning an expensive switch into a large piece of rack ballast. :D

I will reboot the switches during planned downtime later to initiate the bootrom upgrade via the 13.66m firmware already loaded in the primary slot (switches are running 12.28 now) before trying to copy in 14.49m.

Shucks... I was hoping to save some time by preloading the the end-state firmware in secondary, which would save me the time consuming task of transferring over the 14.49m firmware during the downtime window.

Would have been reboot pri - reboot sec - done instead of reboot pri - tftp - reboot sec - done.

Cheers,
X.L.
X.L. Ho

I affirm that the following command works when running a ProCurve switch as a tftp server.

"copy tftp flash flash "

Caveats:
- The boot rom must support the version of firmware being loaded.

- The switch running the tftp server can service only one active TFTP session at any given time.

Cheers,
X.L.

Thanks for your discovery and clarification.

We use this combo of commands... (Obvious but I though I'd add them to your excellent thread)

copy tftp flash {IP Address of tftp server} {flash filename} secondary
[this tftps the flash to secondary storage]

boot system flash secondary
[boot to secondary flash]

[If all okay copy flash to primary and boot from that. ]

copy flash flash primary
[Copies between the two storage areas]
boot

I've not had a problem with loading the secondary area with flash ever. So long as it's one supportable by the switch. Some switches you have to go through a few iterations of upgrades to get their boot proms into a state that supports the latest firmware. We just take it one step at a time.

Chris