7055 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating a guest VLAN between two ProCurve switches

Ren├й Frej Nielsen
Occasional Contributor

Creating a guest VLAN between two ProCurve switches

Hi,

We have a ProCurve 5412zl and a ProCurve 2810 switch (among others) that is connected trough a fiber connection. I have trunked two fiber connections between these to switches and it works fine.

Now I wish to create a guest VLAN that has internet only access. I have never worked with VLAN before and the two switches are currently just using the default VLAN1. We don't really have any need for splitting up our network into multiple VLAN's because we're using 192.168.0.0/16 and have plenty of addresses.

I have created VLAN2 on both switches and called it GUEST. I have assigned it as this:

5412zl: Trk1 VLAN1 "untagged" - Trk1 VLAN2 "tagged" - Port F12 VLAN1 "no" - Port F12 VLAN2 "untagged".

2810: Trk1 VLAN1 "untagged" - Trk1 VLAN2 "tagged" - Port 39 VLAN1 "no" - Port 39 VLAN2 "untagged".

When I connect a computer to port F12 on one switch and port 39 on the other switch then they're not able to see each other. I can't ping them... I have just entered the IP address (10.111.112.10 and .11) and the subnet mask (255.255.255.0) on both computers and believe that it should be enough, but for some reason it's not working.

Do I have to enable some features on the switches for this to work? I don't want the switches to do any routing between VLAN's because VLAN2 should be completely separated and the default router will be our firewall just as our current network. VLAN2 will just be connected to another LAN port on the firewall with a different subnet than our current network. For now I'm simply trying to get two computers to communicate over the VLAN's.

As I've said I'm completely new with VLAN's but I've reading up on this subject for a week now and just can't get this simple configuration to work, so please help!
2 REPLIES 2
abdullah shboull
Frequent Advisor

Re: Creating a guest VLAN between two ProCurve switches

what do you want in brief please!!
Ren├й Frej Nielsen
Occasional Contributor

Re: Creating a guest VLAN between two ProCurve switches

I JUST got it to work.. in fact it seems that I had it configured correctly, but one of the computers that I was using for testing the connection didn't reply to pings and couldn't send out pings! Doh!

So it's working now...