4300 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DHCP and Wireless

Tony Flannery
Advisor

DHCP and Wireless

Hi,

I have installed a J9001A wireless module in my 5308 switch and attached 2 210 Radio Ports to my network via a 2626 POE infrastructure switch. I think I have tagged and untagged all the right ports, as the 2 RP's flash green, and my wireless laptop can see the wireless network I created in the Wireless network management console. However, the laptop will not get it's ip address from dhcp. I created a vlan for the wlan, and have tested the ip-helper successfully on a wired connection. Does DHCP need to be configured in the wireless management also ?

Thanks,

Tony.
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: DHCP and Wireless

Hi

If you login to the WEB UI for the Wireless module and go to:

Network Setup > Ethernet > Configuration

You should see "DHCP Enabled" field, and check if its configured or not.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Tony Flannery
Advisor

Thanks Mohieddin,

DHCP at this point is disabled, as I have set a manual ip address on the wireless module. My wireless client can get ip from dhcp when I assign the WLAN to vlan1, but when I assign it to another vlan that I configured, it doesn't work. I don't think it's a dhcp issue now, rather the way WLAN's are talking to vlans.

Tony
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony

I would like to ask you if you can attach screen shots for the Wireless WEB interface shows the configuration, and the 5300 configuration as well.

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone
Tony Flannery
Advisor

Thanks Mohieddin,

I got it working OK (I neglected to tag the HUP port in the 5308).
Onwards and upwards !

Tony.
Vince Butler
Advisor

I'm actually experiencing a similar problem, but a little different. In my environment I have radio ports in other buildings, so I have created the 2100 VLAN on the switches in those buildings and added the ports that those radio ports are connected to to the 2100 VLAN as untagged. In those buildings I can connect to the WLAN and get a DHCP IP address.

In the main building (with the 5300/WESM) I have a single radio port. The VLAN has not been modified from how the WESM set it up, so port HUP is tagged for the default VLAN and HDP is tagged for the 2100 VLAN. The radio port is on D24, which is tagged via GVRP for port 2100. I also notice that the GVRP Enabled setting is unchecked on all switches. When I try to connect to that radio port (with the same wireless client) I connect but I never receive an IP address from DHCP, it just keeps looking forever.

What do I need to change to get this working?