1752671 Members
5587 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DHCP

Robert Peirce
Advisor

DHCP

I have been unable to successfully setup a DHCP client on a HP ProCurve 2626 switch. I have enabled DHCP relaying on the switch and added the Helper-address for the DHCP. Does the address the switch itself also have to be assigned via DHCP in order for it to be able to relay DHCP?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If you are using the 2626 as your router, the you have to use static IP addresses for the VLAN interfaces. These addresses will be given by the DHCP server to the clients as their default gateway.
Robert Peirce
Advisor

I have assigned static IPs to the VLANS, but any client machine on the VLAN is unable to receive its DHCP address from the DHCP server which is connected to a seperated VLAN on the same switch. IP Routing is enable on the switch and I have entered an IP helper address for the DHCP server.
Dirk Reimold
Occasional Advisor

is the switch the default gateway for your dhcp-server and your clients ? maybe your dhcp-server does not have a route to the client vlan ?
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I think the default gateways of the clients are set by the DHCP server in the dhcp response packet, based on the subnet from which the dhcp request came (the router miraculously puts this info in the dhcp request packet- Matt Hobbs knows more on this DHCP stuff and has answered a similar question).

You should use "ip dhcp smart-relay" on the router if you have it as option

The DHCP server itself should have fixed IP and its default gateway should be the IP addy of the VLAN interface of the switch the server is in.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

ip helpers should be set only for the subnets in which you do not have a DHCP server.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

This is Matt's response that I was talking about:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1139247
Robert Peirce
Advisor

It turns out that I had a typo on the scope on the DHCP server. The switch had been configured properly. I had assumed the problem was at the switch since this is the first time I setup dhcp relay for an HP switch.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

It is greatly appreciated.

Rob