1752777 Members
6153 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DIAL-IN SERVER

Reuben M. Ordonio
Occasional Contributor

DIAL-IN SERVER

How can I configure my HP-UX 11.0 into a dial-in server?

I am successful doing this in linux using mgetty and pppd. How do i do it in HP-UX? What applications or daemons can i use?

thanks,
reuben
TIMTOWTDI
3 REPLIES 3
LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

hi,

what kind of connection do you want hp-ux to serve? Do you want just log in the hp-ux or make hp-ux behave like a RAS??

regards
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Very similar.

For a login connection you establish a modem link to an HP-UX system and log in as usual. After login the Login shell script is invoked and run. The script starts pppd on the HP-UX system, which communicates with the pppd on the peer. Both pppds negotiate and establish a PPP connection. On systems that accept only incoming calls, pppd does not need to be started at boot time, since pppd is started when a PPP login occurs.

For a connection without a login you simply dial in to a preset serial line on HP-UX system where the serial protocol is already running on the line.

To configure inbound PPP connection:

1. Create a device file with dial-in minor number for a serial port (the SAM can be used for that).
2. Optionally increase the number of IP tunnels if needed If I do not mistake /sbin/init.d/ppp creates 16 by default. That means 16 concurrent pppd processes are suported by default. The default value is defined in etc/ppp/tunconf.
3. Configure your modem.
4. Add user accounts to the /etc/passwd file to allow incoming connections.
5. Create Login shell script. A PPP login shell script can be reside any place and named arbitrarily. Check permissions on the script. Make sure the script is executable (chmod 755 Login).

Good luck and
BR,
Dmitry
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Just a little addendum.
There is not mgetty on the HP-UX, so use /usr/sbin/getty.

Good luck and
BR,
Dmitry