Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753857 Members
7227 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DNS?

ShawnH

DNS?

Hello, I am working with a Procurve 5406zl switch. We have much base functionality up on the switch, we have several VLANs, some on different class addresses than other and we are trying to get all those VLANs out to the internet. We have made some good progress but are having an issue with DNS. When we add a client to a VLAN and set it up we have to manually add the DNS server address for it to get out to the internet. Otherwise the client can ping everything inside the network but it can't get out for most intents and purposes because it doesn't automatically figure out the DNS. We have the Procurve switch shooting out to a WAP/Router on a Class C network. We have one VLAN on a Class C network, and several others on a Class B network. I have static routes setup between the Linksys WAP/Router and the Procurve to make them talk. I am pointing the DNS of the clients to the WAP/Router ip address which is 192.168.1.1 for them to gain internet access with domain name resolution. We can ping internet IP addresses from clients, just not their names. I don't feel like requiring users to memorize IP addresses for websites haha. Let me know if you need any more information from our config.

Thank you!

~Shawn
3 REPLIES 3
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: DNS?

Make sure that in DHCP server you have configured a DNS server to be given to the clients, and make sure that the router itself is able to translate the addresses to the clients, also you can try to put the public DNS server in the options in the DHCP server to give it to the clients automatically
ShawnH

Hey, thanks for the reply! I understand how to set it up with DHCP. It seems that other networks outside of the one with internet access that I am routing to and from don't work without a statically assigned IP and DNS, usually when we statically assign clients on the network with internet access they don't need to have a statically assigned DNS and their is still no problems. I guess this is something we may just have to do for the Class B networks wanting to use the Class C networks internet until we get some DHCP servers setup. Our hope was to stay static all around, well the higher up's hope to stay static for most devices but I feel DHCP may be the way to go to save time, thus saving money.

Any more information is much appreciated, thanks!
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

There's a bunch of info your not providing that might point to your issue like what are the subnet addresses for Class C and Class B networks and associated VLAN numbers/names. I can't assume the Class C is 192.168.1.0/24 as that might be a VLAN subnet just for the Internet off of your 5406zl switch.
Are you running in a Microsoft server environment with Active Directory, Novell, Linux, etc...? What device is acting as your DHCP server?