New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deskjet 6122

qim_1
Advisor

Deskjet 6122

I have a 2 computer home network

PC 98SE with Word2000 connected to printer and router

Laptop XP with Word 2002 connected to router

The network works perfectly as far as Internet is concerned.

It prints ok from the PC, but when I print from the laptop it works fine the first time, but if i try to print again the printing process hangs.

I can see from my Firewall that traffic is moving between the computers but on the other side the printing job has 0 bytes.

The first printing which is of creates 2 temp files HP000?.IDX and HP000?.PDL which disappear as soon as the printing job ends.

At the second try (when it hangs) it creates 2 temp files both with .PDL extensions. One disappears and the other one stays after closing down programme.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thank you

qim
3 REPLIES 3
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Got some questions for you -
1) What sort of firewall do you have?
2) Is it part of the router or it a software firewall running on the computers?
3) If it's software - which computer?
4) When you installed the printer on the laptop did it ask you for the CD or did it copy the drivers from the desktop?
qim_1
Advisor

1) What sort of firewall do you have?

Kerio personal Firewall 2.1.5

2) Is it part of the router or it a software firewall running on the computer~

The router's firewall is disactivated. This is free firewall you can download from the net and seems to work reasonably well

3) If it's software - which computer?

Don't quite understand the question, but I have the same firewall on both computers (1 98SE and 1 XP)

4) When you installed the printer on the laptop did it ask you for the CD or did it copy the drivers from the desktop?

Well this is where the big problem probably lies.

the 98SE which is connected to the printer, I downloaded the latest driver from the HP page on the net

on the XP I followed instructions and installed, I beleive the same driver, (following XP instructions it set up as "DO NOT SHARE")

It is all very starnge as it works first time and then it starts misbehaving. Often I can see the transfer of data but it just foes on and on forever and nothing eventually happens. Other time there seems to be no transfer.

Many thsnk for your help

qim

Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

The reason for the firewall questions was to determine if you had firewall software of the type you are using. The firewall on the 98SE system is one possible cause of the problem.

Try disabling it temporarily to see what impact it has on the problem.

Another possible cause is the driver - 98 & XP use different drivers - try downloading the XP drivers for the 6122 and installing those on the laptop - you should be able to manually create a port to match the one that is presently configured.

The version of Word has no bearing on this problem and I know from experience that it's possible to host printers on Win98Se and print to them from XP systems, because we routinely do this, although not with that particular printer.