New Discussion юеВ

Re: Diff between broadcast and multicast

SOLVED
Go to solution
yongye_1
Advisor

Diff between broadcast and multicast

Hello,

What are the difference between broadcast and multicast?

I really don't know how multicast works. So plz help.

Any help will be highly appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Regard
Yongye
4 REPLIES 4
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I really don't think that this forum is the right place to do this topic justice. Multicast is a specific range of IPs for the purpose of multi-media casting and as such can be better managed than broadcast.

If you have HP switchgear, you should already have the PDF documentation on CD. There are quite a few pages in the Adv-Traffic-Mgmt section dedicated to mutlicast and the management of it. If you don't have the CD, you can download the docs.
yongye_1
Advisor

Hi Les Ligetfalvy,

Thank you for your quick response. But I really don't have the CD you metioned. Could you please give me a URL to download the Docs? Thanks.

Regards,
Yongye
HRE
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Yonge,

look at this page: http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/23xx_25xx.htm
You can find some Information in the "Management and Configuration Guide" on page 9-91.
This one is also a good source for Information:http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ipmulti.htm

Regards

HRE
Terhorst
Trusted Contributor

Hi Yongye,

You can find some very nice documents about multicast on the cisco site (www.cisco.com) that will gave you a brief understanding of multicast.
Broadcast typically copies all broadcast traffic to all station connected to a local network. Traffic is not routed and it will not pass local network boundaries.
Multicast however, does broadcast traffic to all subscribed receivers via an ip-address (multicast range 224.0.0.0 and higher). Your network has to be setup to support multicast.

Regards,
Alexander