4646 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Difference between A and E Series Switches

Marc_Jones
Occasional Visitor

Difference between A and E Series Switches

Hi All, 

I am new to HP Switching/Networking. Just wondering if someone can explain what the difference is between the A and E Series switches, and if there are other series. 

Thanks in advance, 

Marc

4 REPLIES 4
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between A and E Series Switches

E-series are the old Procurve and A-series are the ex-3Com/H3C with Comware OS that came with the acquition of 3Com a few years ago. There where also a V-series with small/medium mostly non-manageble switches.

The A/E/V-prefix is obsolete since over a year so you wont see it anymore, they are all HP Networking now.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Is the "procurve" series still being developed or is HP switching over to the "comware" os/syntax for upcoming releases?

I saw a release note for some procurve devices (E-series) that a "comware-like" syntax has been added.

However I personally think the procurve syntax was easier to use and interpret comparing to the comware dito.

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

For now, HP networking seem to be fairly actively developing the Procurves with the new ASICs.The Openflow stuff is leading on Procurve, for example. They've rationalized the range a bit, particularly at the low end (web/unmanaged) but I doubt they are ready to bet the business on the H3C stuff any time soon. In the longer term, who knows?

I think a lot of people like Comware because it's more familiar coming from a Cisco background.

Marc_Jones
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Marc