1753404 Members
6865 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drops RX with multicast and Procurve 2824

Carsten Otto

Drops RX with multicast and Procurve 2824

Hello!

First of all, why is the password length limited to eight characters? I am very confused. Additionally this form is way to small, please change that...

My network homes one 2824 as backbone switch, seven 2626, two 2524, two 2424M, one 1600M, one 4000M and one Allied Telesyn Rapier G6. All firmwares are current. Since this is a student dorm, many non-managed switches are attached somewhere in the rooms.

About twice a day following problem occurs:
The 2824 reports a lot of "Drops RX" on two ports, where two computers stream multicast streams with about 100 MBit/sec each (Gigabit connection). At the same time all ports experience heavy packet loss, not only of those multicast streams. According to the log some (not all) connections to other members in the stack are lost (the 2824 is stack master). After some minutes everything works fine again. The multicast querier is a PC running XORP, connected with Gigabit to the 2824. I noticed the "Drops RX" propagate arround the network. Meaning: When the two multicast PCs show 1000 errors, the connected switches show about 10 errors. Only the ports of these two PCs and these of connected procurves show these errors, the connected servers' ports have no errors (but experience the same packet loss).

Please tell me how to debug this problem. I have no clue what causes this.

Thanks,
Carsten Otto
4 REPLIES 4
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Re: Drops RX with multicast and Procurve 2824

Hi Cartsen,

Judging upon your problem description it is most likely that you ports run out of buffers and therefore start dropping RX. As of firmware I.07.53 ProCurve introduced a command called "qos-passthrough-mode".
I have attached the release notes pages of interest for usage of this command.
With the first implementation of this new command a reload was required but as of I.08.62 it can be enabled run time. qos-passthrough-mode re-allocates buffers and will most likely solve the RX Drops.

Regards, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Carsten Otto

Thank you!

It's configured, I will check for failures in the next few days. You will get your forum points based on the results :)

Bye,
Carsten Otto
Carsten Otto

No difference, I just had the same error.
Carsten Otto

I disabled "Flow Control" and the problem seems to be solved.