108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dumb newbie 2524 config questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
JL Billman
Advisor

Dumb newbie 2524 config questions

Hi there I am trying to figure out if there is any easy way to take a text file I have of a switches configuration, chenge the ip addresses in it and apply it to another switch. Will this work or do I need to go through and manually configure the second switch?
4 REPLIES 4
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Dumb newbie 2524 config questions

Hi

There are many ways of achieving what you want to do.

Basically you copy the running config to a text file, then make it a config. template for switches, and you just need to change few things like IP address, Host name ....

You can automate this by using the DHCP, if you powered on a new switch it will look for an IP from a DHCP server, so you can deploy a temporary DHCP and assign a parameter to load a config file from TFTP server.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
JL Billman
Advisor

Pardon my asking more dumb questions. Is the config files that gets tftp'ed a text file that I can edit? If so where would I find the format?

Iwas wondering if there is a way to script the configuration when I am telneting int othe switch or attached to the consoel port.

Thanks for the information!
DPower
Occasional Advisor

Download and install a free TFTP program onto your PC. Any text editor can view/modify the config.

This command will copy the current switch config to a TFTP server.

copy startup-config tftp

This command will copy a config from a TFTP server to your switch.

copy tftp startup-config
JL Billman
Advisor

Thanks for the help. I think I've got it now.