Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753774 Members
6893 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enable/Disable VLAN according to a time schedule

Tyler Child

Enable/Disable VLAN according to a time schedule

I am trying to setup a VLAN which will only be available during business hours. During off hours the VLAN will be inaccessible. I haven't had any luck finding any documentation on completing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tyler Child
IT Help Desk
5 REPLIES 5
Tyler Child

This may or may not be a feature. An alternative method would be to enable/disable ports during certain hours.

Is this possible?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

There's no specific switch feature to do this.

With PCM+ though, you could schedule a policy to login to the switch, and enable/disable the VLAN in question.
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

It's a little bit more sophisticated but it works great!

Authenticate your device/user and set a dynamic Vlan by a Radius server. To a use timeschedule policy you can use ProCurve Identity Driven Manager to set this policy in your Radius server (MS IAS, Free Radius or Juniper SBR)

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

By using the suggested solution with RADIUS, you can have a policy that specifies the time for this Vlan (or the ports in this Vlan).

More advanced is by using the IDM.

You can enjoy the flavors of: Time, Location, Device and User based security policies.

Whats are your current switches ?
Do you have PCM+ ?

If there is a possibility for you to use the IDM, we can help you to find the best practical solution in your network.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Tyler Child

The VLAN I am thinking of will touch the following types of HP switches:

Procurve 2848
Procurve 2648
2x Procurve 5412zl

Unfortunately I do not have a Radius server nor PCM+.

Basically I am trying to setup a public wireless LAN, seperate from our network. The access points I am using do not have a feature that would turn off the radio according to a schedule. I am using Cisco Aironet 1100 series AP's.

It appears that I will have to take a look at getting a Radius server or PCM+. (if budget permits)