108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Facing Error - Default Gateway Not accessible

SOLVED
Go to solution
alexbach
Visitor

Facing Error - Default Gateway Not accessible

Just a recent issue I stumbled upon and wondered if anyone else has....

When I sniffed the air with OmniPeek and the network the ap was on with WireShark, I see the arp request for the gateway go to the router, the reply from the gateway router is sent out to the suspect machine in the air, the PC ack's the packet but never populates the arp cache. I have looked at both arp responses in a working vs failing scenario, both packets are the same. I don't see this being a wireless vendor issue, it's more of a Microsoft problem.

The only way I have been able to resolve it was to disable IP Helper (start up too) from Services, reboot the machine. I was seeing 3 to 4 drops per day but since disabling this Service the machines I have been testing with have not seen the issue again. It's worth trying.

8 REPLIES 8
RobinNadal
Occasional Advisor

At first, I would suggest you to follow this simple method, i.e., remove all McAfee Programs that you have and test if the problem exists or not. If yes, then reply me I will suggest you another one.

alexbach
Visitor

Hi, I don't actually use any McAfee Antivirus. In fact, I don't any sort of AntiVirus program on my device. Just the Windows Defender & Firewall. 

RobinNadal
Occasional Advisor

Then, Reinstall Network adapters driver this permanent fix will resolve your issue. If you don't know how to do it then I'll we glad to help you again.

alexbach
Visitor

Please guide me the proper way. I couldn't understand it through YouTube. 

RobinNadal
Occasional Advisor

hlo, alexbach For reinstall the network adapter you have to follow these steps:

1. open your Device Manager

2. Expand Network adapters Right-click your network adapter and click Uninstall

3. click OK to continue then, Restart your computer after the uninstall. 

Windows will help you reinstall the network adapter device driver automatically. 

alexbach
Visitor

Ok. I will try to do that. 

michaelavenatt
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Hi,

Here's the following thread that you use to understand more about the error - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wifi-limited-access-errorthe-default-gateway-is/d1d72d67-b0bb-405b-b386-52e096c45978

Now, as for the error, you can try the following post to try fix it for yourself - https://validedge.com/the-default-gateway-is-not-available/

Do let me know if this works.

alexbach
Visitor

I cannot thank enough to both of you guys. I didn't know which trick worked but it just did. I am grateful to both of you.