cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber connection between 3500yl and 5406zl

Thomas Luck
Occasional Visitor

Fiber connection between 3500yl and 5406zl

This question is from a newbie so pardon my lack of knowledge. I have installed a new 3500 and 5406 in two different buildings connected via fiber. I have installed one J4858B(HP Procurve Giabit-SX LC MINI-GBIC) in each of the switches. If I understand correctly, I can just hook up the appropriate fiber patch cord to the J4858Bs and voila, all is well. Not so in my case, I see that that the switch recognizes the mini-GBIC but after connecting them I getting nothing. If I need to elaborate more, please let me know. Thank you for you time. The link is currently working with standard media convertors, so I know that the fiber run is fine.
2 REPLIES
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

Re: Fiber connection between 3500yl and 5406zl

Did you connect the duplex right. So TX to RX and RX to TX? In normal words send to receive and receive to send.

You can also check the cabling. What is the distance and which type of fiber are you using 62,5/125 or 50/125. The patch cables should be at least using the same core cladding (62,5 or 50).

Thomas Luck
Occasional Visitor

Re: Fiber connection between 3500yl and 5406zl

I did try both possible combinations in my fiber panel. The fiber patch only goes in one way into the mini-gbic, so I know that on is correct as least! My new patch cables are the same specs as the old ones but obviously a different adapter on one end. Could it be that the mini-gbic is incompatible with the old media converter on the other end? I will replace both old media converters on each end with the mini-gbics and see what happens. Thanks for you help.