1751952 Members
5174 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update F_05_17 for Unmanaged HP Procurve Switch 2324

Damien Rouaud
Occasional Contributor

Firmware update F_05_17 for Unmanaged HP Procurve Switch 2324

Hi, firmware F_05_17 is supoose to fix a number of problemes with Procurve 2324 Unmanaged switches, but whenever I try to use the Windows XP Pro hyperterminal in order to upload this firmware through the switch "Download" port, I keep getting a "No answer ..." message from the console just a couple of minutes after I start the binary file upload...
I use a HP Laplink cable (PN 5184-1894) tested by HP Service Center (Bangkok) to connect the COM1 port of my notebook to the Download port (9 pins serial port) of the HP switch, and I just don't see what is wrong :

Do you have a check-up list I could go through in order to see if all the settings (protocols, hyperteminal settings) on my notebook (running WINDOWS XP PRO) are correct to run the upload ?

Many thanks !
Damien Rouaud, Bangkok
3 REPLIES 3
Wulff Meineke

Re: Firmware update F_05_17 for Unmanaged HP Procurve Switch 2324

Damien,

some hints, maybe it will help.

1. You have to configure your terminal with
- VT-100
- any baud rate from 1200 to 115200
- 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity
and flow control set to None
- For the Windows Terminal program, also
disable (uncheck) the ???Use
Function, Arrow, and Ctrl Keys for
Windows??? option

2. You must transfer files with Xmodem
Protocol

3. You need to specify if you are using a
PC or a UNIX machine. Command:
> copy xmodem flash pc

4. Sometimes it helps to fix the baud-rate
in the terminal program and within the
switch. Command:
> console baud-rate 57600

Regards
Wulff
Damien Rouaud
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Wulff, my hyperterminal window remained blank but your answer pointed out what was missing : I hadn't picked VT100 Emulation (I had let Auto-detection) !

The update is now done on both switches and I have attached a document giving illustrated details for other users willing to do a similar thing.

Have a nice day :)
Damien
Damien Rouaud
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I think there is a problem with attachment in this forum (probably a javascript problem) so you won't be able to download the file I attached to my previous answer :
feel free to send me an email and I will forward it to you (PDF file written in english about 400 Kb).

damien.rouaud@dree.org