108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gigabit LX module error in 4000m

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandor Gabor

Gigabit LX module error in 4000m

Hi!

My question is about 2 Gigabit LX modules, they don't really want to build up a connection.
I have 2 devices:
HP 2512 and HP 4000m, both with LX modules, connected with multimode fiber, length about 330 meters, using mode conditioning patch cord both sides (correctly installed :-).

2512 details: Firmware revision:F.04.08, ROM Version:F.02.01
4000m details: ROM stamp:C.06.01, Image stamp:C.09.16

And somehow there is no link between these ports. I've tried an other (Lucent) gigabit device, and that worked with 2512, but I couldn't try the Lucent with 4000m.
Both switch can see the 1000lx ports without any attention, although 4000m sometimes logged, that Module/Configuration mismatch, but after a reset it could initialize the card.
So, I'm asking whether is there anything i did wrong, or i don't know?

Sanyig
6 REPLIES 6
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

are both ports forced to same settings?

you try without mode conditioning patch cord? Lenght is less than 500 meters... ;-)
Teach is the best way to learn
Sandor Gabor

>are both ports forced to same settings?
I know that i can set Fdx/Hdx and what else?

>you try without mode conditioning patch cord? >Lenght is less than 500 meters... ;-)
Yes it is less, but we have a passive extension somewhere in the 330 meter, and as i know mode conditioning cannot make it worse than it is, but in the first days we didn't have MCPcord.
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

mode is set to 1000LX, or Auto....?
check that is set to 1000LX and not to auto.... this can cause connectivity problems
Teach is the best way to learn
Sandor Gabor

I think, that it's auto...

By this time, i could borrow a Procurve 1600m for testing, but it asks for username, and the owners doesn't know the password.
Is there any manual about HP Procurve restoring factory defaults?

Thanks
Ardon
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You can Reset the Password by pressing the Clear button for about 10 seconds.
On the LX link issue. the 2512 defaults to Auto while the 4000M/1600m to 1000FDX. Just change either side although I would suggest Auto as that protect for half a link failure (sort of like Cisco's UDLD) so in case TX on 1 side fails the link on BOTH switches will go down thereby preventing a black hole.
2512 firmware should be upgraded to F.05.17.

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Sandor Gabor

It seems, that my problem is solved by setting AUTO (not 1000LX) for the port...

Thanks for everyone!

Gabor