New Discussion юеВ

Re: HA switch setup questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlertForce
Occasional Advisor

HA switch setup questions

I am planning to setup a HA network.

The core switches will be 2 x HP ProCurve 6200yl (Core A and Core B), each with the 10GB module (ProCurve Switch yl 10-GbE 2-Port CX4 + 2-Port X2 Module)installed for stacking.

Edge switches will be HP ProCurve 2824. (Edge A, Edge B, Edge n)

Connection between the core and access layer switch will be via Fibre, using "ProCurve Gigabit-SX-LC Mini-GBIC".

To ensure connectivity and max up time at the core switch level, each of the edge switch will have 2 connections back to the core switches, 1 to Core A and 1 to Core B.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Understand the switches will use "Spanning Tree" protocol to prevent loopback, as there is a close connection: Edge A -> Fiber cable -> Core A -> CX4 cable -> Core B -> Fiber cable -> Edge A.

Is "Spanning Tree" by default turned on at the switches?

Lets say Core A is down, all the paths are re-direct to Core B, if Core A is up again, those paths using Core A will auto re-direct back to Core B? Or need to re-direct back manually?

Please assist.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Your imagination is 100% correct.

Core1-Core2
| |
| |
EdgeA

Before you Physically connect above drawing, make sure:

1- Turn on Spanning Tree on all the Switches.

2- Run on CoreA:
CoreA(config)#span prio 0
* this will make sure that CoreA is the Root*

3- Run on CoreB:
CoreB(config)#span prio 1
* this will make sure that CoreA is the backup*

After yo udo this, connect all the switches like in the drawing (Each edge has 2 links, one to Corea and one to CoreB)

NOW all the links to CoreB with be blocked by Spanning Tree.

And if CoreA is down, all the Links to CoreB will be acive in less than 200ms.

Now if CoreA is back, all the links to CoreB will be blocked again.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
AlertForce
Occasional Advisor

So in that case, if I have 10 Edge Switches, all the network traffic will only flow through Core A? And Core B will consistently be the backup? It is possible, or is it advisable, to split half? i.e. 5 Egde use Core A as primary, and the other 5 using Core B as primary?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Yes, you certainly can load balance between the two 6200's. You can define which 6200 will be the 'owner' of your VRRP VRIDs. You then combine this with MSTP which can optimise use of your redundant links.

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

The following document guides you Step by Step for such configuration:

http://www.procurve.com/NR/rdonlyres/2AB265E3-8277-49EF-98C2-070186D7B516/0/ProCurveSpanning_tree_Sep_07_WW_Eng_Ltr.pdf

Or you can see similar thread:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1089521

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
AlertForce
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info, one more thing, on of my edge switch will be using an industrial switch, due to the environment, may I know for the Spanning Tree, is there any requirement on the edge switch? Or the the control is purely done at the core switch level? If that is the case I can use an industrial dumb switch?